By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

slow eating movement

ahop23

Are any of you familiar with the slow eating movement? I think this was started in the UK as a push to eat more locally grown, organic foods and I think it has really take off. I know that I try to do what I can to support local growers and eat more fresh produce than what you can typically find in stores. Are others worldwide trying to do the same?

frockery

frockery

Yes, I am a supporter of both slow food and slow fashion as a reaction to the fast varieties of both! I think there has been quite a bit of interest in Scotland and beyond, especially as consumers are really beginning to question the benefits of supermarket dominance.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I've never heard of the slow eat movement and I have to admit to getting our groceries delivered rather than doing it ourselves :eek: (Is that bad?)

We only tend to buy the essentials at the supermarket and tend to buy meat and veg locally as it always tastes much better and is worth paying more for. It does concern me the hold supermarkets have over this country but i'm not sure how you resolve it.

frockery

frockery

This parliamentary motion (tabled a couple of years ago) outlines the background to the Slow Food movement in the UK.

*S2M-3433 Mark Ballard: Location of Slow Food UK Office

Boxby

We only tend to buy the essentials at the supermarket and tend to buy meat and veg locally as it always tastes much better and is worth paying more for. It does concern me the hold supermarkets have over this country but i'm not sure how you resolve it.

You are so right! I think that here in Scotland we are lucky that there are so many good local producers of Meat & Veg. Here in Girvan they recently opened an Asda, and Tescos is coming, but I still buy my veg & meat locally, as the beef that the butcher sells comes from his own farm 3 miles down the road. And the best veggies ever are grown on our doorstep.

Kind regards
Sandra

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian McIntosh

Im lucky enough to have the space to have a vegetable garden and greenhouse at the bottom of my garden. The taste difference is astonishing. I also use my local butcher for beef and such like and he has a board up to tell customers which farm it came from and how long it was hung for. I think it's important to use local shops or Tesco's, Asda, etc will win out in the end and then we're in trouble.

S

stressmom

Do you find that you pay more for things like meat when you buy local? I am completely in favor of the movement and think that it is important for everyone to get on board but I think that will be difficult until the prices are more competitive. We grow our own veggies and you are right about the taste- nothing is better than when you grow it in your own gardens.

ahop23

I think that sometimes you do have to pay a little more but the taste and quality that you receive is well worth it in the long run.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking