By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Should we be able to vote online?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

An interesting article today on Webuser which principally spoke about the London Mayoral election but brought a really good point up about being able to vote at elections etc online.

One in four won't vote: poll - Web User News

Do you think this is something that will happen sooner rather than later? What barriers do you think prevent this from happening?

D

Dizzydiza

Nope i believe it is important to make that effort on polling days to go to a central point...place you vote and have it put into a sealed box and counted in a secured place. I wouldnt trust my vote on a computer...leaves it open to hackers.
Basically if you cant make the effort to go and vote then you dont have the right to complain about the government in power.

Brian McIntosh

Must say, I agree. Since I've been able to vote I've only missed one because I was on Holiday. People need to make the effort to make their voice heard.

Nope i believe it is important to make that effort on polling days to go to a central point...place you vote and have it put into a sealed box and counted in a secured place. I wouldnt trust my vote on a computer...leaves it open to hackers.
Basically if you cant make the effort to go and vote then you dont have the right to complain about the government in power.

There are a whole raft of reasons why people cant'/wont go to a polling place. Inner city areas for instance where it's not particularly safe to walk the street. Family commitments that conspire to prevent you making that trip. Even simply being held up at work.

I signed up for a postal vote years ago... But no; I wouldn't be keen on it being online. A paper vote is tangible proof of my opinion; mere bits of data in the ether aren't.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I dont disagree with any of the points made so playing devils advocate here. Matt makes a great point about the issues getting to a polling station whether it be family reasons, work reasons or whatever. Take for example what would happen if everyone decided to take an hour off work to go and vote!

Postal vote I agree is maybe a step in the right direction but still I would think open to abuse. There could surely be technology put in place online to limit the amount of fraud?

Do we call it voter apathy that more than half of people dont vote but I think there needs to be more methods of voting to make it more accessable and of course more representative. :)

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking