By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Shell Lorry Drivers Plan 4 day Strike

TomB

TomB

Honestly this country is just going to the dogs :eek:

Everyone is entitled to a fair wage for what they do, but who in their right mind expects a company to hand over a 13% pay increase to their staff.

And of course all this will do is force petrol prices up even more.

And what does it say to everyone else out there if they give them it?

I thinks its getting close to the time that Gordon Brown goes away.

Rant over :D

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

You know something all of these strikes etc are really starting to bug me, I may be in the minority in starting to feel a little less sympathetic. Is this the same people I read that earn in excess of

Brian McIntosh

I don't think you're the only one to feel no sympathy for these people. Yet again the general public will be held to ransom. The Government need to get a grip of this situation and get it sorted. I think the profits Shell make has prompted this decision but, I agree, a 13% pay rise is unrealistic. Maybe it's a case of start high and barter down to what you really wamt.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

According to what I have read they have already offer 6.8% which the union has rejected. You sometimes get the impression that these union guys go on power trips to satisfy their own ego's. This basically means that their salaries have increased by a fifth over the past few years and taking into account overtime they end up with a salary of around

PC

PC

More than our nurses, firemen, policemen and teachers.
Here's a question for you all: Why is it that nurses, firemen, policemen and teachers are always rolled out for the sympathy vote whenever some other group of people get a decent pay rise?

Now, the usual reply is is that nurses and firemen save lives and property, the police have to enforce the law and teachers provide the next generation with an education.

They voluntarily chose to work in the public sector either because of altruism (probably not) or for some other reason.

Are they revered purely because they are in an altruistic job?

Do we feel the same sympathy for other public sector workers such as council staff, Forth Road Bridge staff or social workers?

Discuss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing does

nothing does

I'm just appalled by the greed. It disgusts me. When has 32K a year not been a 'living wage'?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Here's a question for you all: Why is it that nurses, firemen, policemen and teachers are always rolled out for the sympathy vote whenever some other group of people get a decent pay rise?
I was using them as an example to put into context just how much these tanker drivers get. It's hardly at the bottom end of the spectrum. What they're asking for is frankly obscene. I'm happy to support causes where I feel it's just but I feel this action is opportunistic.

Please remember though this is only my opinion.

TomB

TomB

I think it is ridiculous, any company in the UK would turn down a 13% payrise.

Who are they kidding. I understand that union's are there for a purpose but sometimes they are so ridiculousy over the line its unbelievable.

Its high time that something was done about this. Honestly if the price of petrol doesn't kill us, its the price of electricity and gas (45% rises predicated by the end of the year),if its not that it will be the price of food.

We are all doomed :eek:

Boxby

I heard on the grapevine at the begining of the year that the Fuel Issue was going to be in the media all year long, by one method or another, but not by fuel blockades becuase the public just don't support anything which impacts them negatively & personally.

So far this year we've had the grangemouth thing, which resulted in very little distress for most of us, but kept fuel at the top of the news for a week. Now we have the shell drivers striking, which again puts it all back in the media, is water cooler conversation but again, is not actually hitting that many people, persoanlly, in a negative way.

(Tut, tut, says Gordon, why won't this one just go away!!)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I think it's pretty clear that the media is stoking the fire here. I'm not sure Gordon Brown hits the mark with them and I for one dont see any lengthy stay at number 10 for him.

I myself support actions where I feel the cause is just even if it's does affect me personally to some extent but as I've said before their demands are excessive.