By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Seth Godin - Two types of networking

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I've linked to a video of Seth Godin which in 1 minute and 18 seconds managed to sum up really what networking is all about both online and offline.

The amount of time I hear people elling me how many facebook fans they have or how many followers they have on twitter is amazing and I guess what Seth says I really believe. It's not about the numbers and more about the quality of the people you connect with.

YouTube - Seth Godin on social networking and how to do it right

Would love to hear others views :)

abs

abs

I agree . Although I'm still trying to get my head around Twitter, Linkedin etc. (I have just joined to see what they're all about),I feel that too many people are just trying to collect "contacts" just to get numbers but they are not helping each other. Ecademy is a prime example of people making contact with absolutely nothing in common just to get numbers and half of them frighten me off!

Theresia

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventurelife

Adventurelife

I am all for anybody who wears dafter specs than me:thumbup:

PennyPR

I dunno why people think that human nature changes when they go online. Online just makes it a lot easier to keep up with interesting people and make connections with others while you exchange ideas.
I believe the keeping-up is the really useful element if you're keeping up with people you really are interested in and connected with.
I have found people greeting me like old friends after years of posts on First Tuesday when they finally met me (ah, I was younger and slimmer then...!) and it's the on/offline cross-over that interests me.
Seriously good business is always down to who you know and how you deal with them, on and offline imho.
Will have a look at Seth's videos - the guy's a genius.

KMiDigital

KMiDigital

33Digital
The old adage “if you build it they will come” seems to be prevalent on social networking sites at the moment. Let’s be honest either you join a group to contribute and help people by giving advice etc or you join a group to get more work. I think if it’s for the latter then your reasons are way off the mark.

Join or start a group to make a difference to the people in that group not to gain anything and again I am a firm believer in ‘you only get out what you put in’.

M

Mike Rogers

I agree with most comments here. I joined networking sites to find out what was going on in 'the community', what was of interest to people and to build a reputation for giving good comments/advice. I think that people buy from people they trust, especially in my service area of hypnotherapy, etc., not from 'spam merchants'.
I also think that going for numbers of followers is little more than an ego trip. I also acknowledge that there are lots of weird people out there trying to impose their even weirder tastes on us.

Mike Rogers
Step2Change Hypnotherapy, NLP & Achievement Coaching