By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Search engine

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Just curious to find out if there are other out there who use a different engine other than the mighty Google.

I like All The Web...AlltheWeb.com becuase of it Simplicity and not adverts popping up....(I think the techy's are going to slate me for using it). And is several like for like searches I have found it better than Google.

What do others use?

Kind regards

Gordon
PLC

S

ScottJ

Alltheweb has it's results provided by Yahoo, it is pretty clean and functional but I guess those sponsored results provided by Yahoo are soon to be provided by Google.

I still prefer Google.co.uk for UK specific searches.

Tim Barlow

Tim Barlow

Google's dominance is certainly showing no sign of crumbling. I periodically run seminars and always ask this question. Two years ago you could guarantee a few people would mention something other than Google, now it may or may not be the case.

S

ScottJ

My 8 year old son Google's things and uses Google Video's,

I fear the next generation won't look at anything else and Google's dominance will be as it is for a good 5 to 10 years. The branding they have in place is priceless and it's not uncommon for films to use Google and phrases like
'I Googled it'
'did you Google it?'

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Is it really any better than the others?

Gordon
PLC

S

ScottJ

I know from experience Google's algorithm is much more complicated and harder to game than Live/MSN or Yahoo. People may not think so but Google handles spam sites pretty well, they still all have plenty room for improvement.

Tim Barlow

Tim Barlow

Its been a long time since I have used dogpile. I gave up on it when they sold out to every PPC listing search engine under the sun.

I have to admire the current iteration though (from a pseudo-academic perspective). They have done a much better job of being subtle about it. However I still can't say that I feel the relevance is enough to tempt me away from Google.

Wills

Wills

Verified Member
If your looking for alternative to Google why not try dogpile Dogpile Web Search Home Page what this engine does is checks all the major engines and returns the top results for each.
I've been a fan of Dogpile for many years it returns very precise searches not the 10's of thousands I get with google.

T

Terry

On the fine detail side of things Google can be totally crap. For instance they show a complete lack of interest in banning sites that are cash generating domains with advertising links on them (MFAs - made for ads). This is despite the fact most of these site are displaying Google adverts which in itself is against there own policies. In addition to this there advertising network is persistently spammed by junk adverts which again Google show very little interest in getting rid of, as with the MFAs I MENTIONED ABOVE it makes them cash so they aren't too bothered. I realize these issue are ones that don't affect the average search user but IMO it is just a small example of the behaviour they display more of the bigger they get.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I have finally given in and gone over to Google.....as the world and his wife seen to be using it more and more as a business tool...(with all it's toys to play with)....so I felt I had to.

Already missing Alltheweb!!