By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Scottish tourism

ahop23

One of the biggest complaints I have heard about the Scottish tourism industry is that there really are no places to stay once you arrive for a vacation. Is this accurate?

D

Dizzydiza

Well I don't know about all of Scotland but there are more hotels in my area than there are shopping centers. Admittedly some of the hotels are very expensive to stay in although we do have a Formula One and a Brewsters in the area. Alternatively there are a few caravan parks. One on the east coast and one on the west and I know of one up north but who wants to stay in a caravan in freezing cold Scotland ;)

Boxby

I think the fact that the Visit Scotland accomodation booking line is contracted out to some international call centre, and populated by people that have never been to Scotland, or have even looked at a map, has a lot to do with this perception.

Scotland has some truely good hotels, and a great mixture of good hotels in the different sectors. I think that one of the main problems is that they are genuinely busy, and therefore don't push hard at marketing themselves.

Brian McIntosh

Up around my neck of the woods, because of the amount of people coming to Aberdeen because of the oil industry, finding a hotel room during the week is nearly impossible. A lot of big companies have standing block bookings of rooms. I talked to a hotel manager a while ago and he said that nobody is renovating or improving rooms either because occupancy is so high people will accept sub standard facilities just to ensure they get a room. Sandra is absoultely correct in saying there are some fantastic hotels in Scotland. Some of the country house hotels are stunning.

S

stressmom

Is vacationing here outrageously expensive or can you find some good deals on travel and accomodations within the country?

Brian McIntosh

There are deals to be had but from your point of view with the pound being really strong against the dollar it may work out expensive if you decide to come across. We had friends across from Canada last year and they couldn't believe the prices of things across here.

Boxby

Is vacationing here outrageously expensive or can you find some good deals on travel and accomodations within the country?
If you really are a stressed mum, you need crieff hydro;:)
Child Friendly Family Hotels, Health Spa Hotels Perthshire Scotland UK
And if you can, go sunday-thursday in termtime as you can get some really good rates then. The kids are meant to be there!! But they give you 6 hours a day inclusive childcare in the best kids club i have ever seen as part of your package price.

One of the biggest complaints I have heard about the Scottish tourism industry is that there really are no places to stay once you arrive for a vacation. Is this accurate?
Not entirely....

Visit Scotland is an organisation I have serious problems with.... And sadly, when abroad, it's too often the public face of Scottish Tourism..

It's a government run set-up. As such it has been inexpertly set up; the powers that be being more interested in jobs for those and such as those, statistics and throwing money (rather than skill) at the problems.

To be fair their presence for 2008 is much improved. I seem to recall a thread on the old forum where we highlighted some glaring issues with what was up there just a few short months ago. However the 'official' presence remains a tad lacking...

For instance I've just taken a quick look at the hotels listing for the Edinburgh and Lothians region. That includes the capital of course.... Using the site's 'natural' navigation I get a list of 109 Hotels for what is one of the most densely populated and significant areas of the country...

Frankly; that's a load of old pony! That figure would, I suspect, EASILY stand multiplication by a factor of ten! Scotland is awash with high quality accommodation. Within a mile or two of me there must be 15 B&B or small family run hotels, and just down the road (about 3 miles) is the superb Dalmahoy Hotel and country club... And this isn't even what I'd call a 'tourist area'....

With a relatively weak dollar and inherently high cost of living I'd have to put my hands up and say it's not the cheapest place in the world to visit. But then a Rolex isn't the cheapest thing you can strap to your wrist...

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have to agree Matt, VisitScotland does appear to be getting their act together this year, there site is much improved but as you have highlighted not without it's flaws.

I'm stunned that I couldn't find a really good resource site for Scotland online, why is it that no one sees any value in it? There are some fantastic hotels and a myriad of things to see and do but there doesn't appear to be a site that is pulling this altogether.

I am due a holiday in a few weeks and will probably spend most of it going round Scotland, i've found myself having to book hotels etc on the hotels own sites and then find intersting places to visit by trawling Google and asking advice from other people. Surely this gap needs to be addressed?

My suspicion is that the hear of the industry is somewhat disparate as it has at it's core a myriad of independent providers; there being no cohesive focus for them.

Unfortunately education in travel and tourism tends to center around the needs of the big operators. Likewise government initiatives tend to labour under the illusion that places like the Dalmahoy or Stobo Castle are in some way typical or representative of the overall picture. And that's compounded by the focus, not on those who are out there running gift shops and country inns and small museums.. but on the largely mis-led and dis-informed products of our education system...

In essence it's an echo of the problems that surround business support generally. We might equally ask ourselves why we are gathered here in this corner of cyberspace? It's taken the initiative of one person to light the flame, and will require a core of us to see the value of that and develop what will become an essential resource.

To be fair we stand less than a year into a situation where the 'new broom' has begun to sweep softly to and fro in Scotland. I suspect that a few noses are being displaced from the trough a Visit Scotland. And am hopeful that things will change. But as you say there is a gap; perhaps some of us could come together to help fill it?

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking