By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Rikochet is born!

Rikochet LTD

Rikochet LTD

Hi everyone,

With a bit of luck, and a lot of help from the PSYBT, and various other organisations I'm setting up a Car Valeting and Minor Body Repair business next month.

Prior to this I was into sales, but after 10 years I'd had enough of putting all my time and energy
into persuading people to buy other peoples products and services, constantly losing faith in the companies I was working for who were making my job a living hell at times. I stood back and realised it was about time I pushed myself into doing what I'd almost always known I was going to do, and start a business.

I have tried a couple of businesses in the past which have fallen through, usually due to running out of money, and more than a few jobs (40) which usually end with me walking out after a dispute with a manager over the way they've spoken to me, late wages or something silly. I was fed up making money for other people and getting made to feel the way they made me feel if I wasn't doing well for some reason.

I have always had an interest in cars, as most blokes do, particularly their exteriors. I saw there were two types of companies, Valeters and SMART repairers. Valeting I could do as I had worked for a friends private company and I decided that it would be good to start a valeting business and add SMART repairs alongside. Therefore there's a broad range of services I can offer in the way of up-selling my services (which is one of my strengths)

Joined Perth College 2 years ago, been learning my trade ever since and I'm gearing up to get started properly (providing there's no further delays). After jumping through hoops at my PSYBT panel I was offered some money to get started, and some more from the Enhancing Opportunities Grant for training and equipment. I've had battles with the council, with my landlord and quite a lot of others to get by but they seem to have simmered down sufficiently to let me get on with things and I should be on the road soon!

As I have a little boy now, and he's nearly 2 I believe this is my last chance to stop jumping from job to job and starting up a successful and legitimate business which I could be proud of.

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

Hi Rikochet and welcome to the forums.

The SBF is the place to be for SME sector businesses and there are some really neat people who provide some excellent and sound advice ...... just ask the questions....... lots of them. :)

The experience of working for someone else can be testing and the reasons for going into business for yourself are only to familiar to most who have made the leap from secure employment into the pond of new start businesses.

Good luck with your venture as there is obviously a market for what you are planning and as you have outlined a number of 'bolt on' opportunities to expand your core business.

Give some careful thought and seek lots of advice re: preparation and delivery of a sound and economically viable business model and you may have opportunity to develop a potential and future franchise around your idea.

John

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking