By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Questionnaire Etiquette?

P

Pete Brindle

Questionnaires are, I think, one of the most common forms of market research. But how do you make sure they're as good as they can possibly be? I once filled in a questionnaire that was so intrusive that I stopped and gave up with it half way through!

What are people NOT happy to give information about? And how much effort are they really willing to put into their answers? For example, I personally prefer 'yes' or 'no' questions, and box ticking. I hate the ones where it asks you to order things from most important to least important.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Think about what you really need to ask. For example, there is always a lot about background and race etc - is this really necessary for what you're trying to find out, or are you just putting it because it seems as though everyone else does it? Be short and to the point, don't put in any questions that you won't use, because then you'll just be wasting the time of the people who are involved which isn't fair.

P

Pete Brindle

Think about what you really need to ask. For example, there is always a lot about background and race etc - is this really necessary for what you're trying to find out, or are you just putting it because it seems as though everyone else does it? Be short and to the point, don't put in any questions that you won't use, because then you'll just be wasting the time of the people who are involved which isn't fair.

True, it seems as though things like that are asked on pretty much everything, even if there wouldn't be much of a use for the actual information given. Thanks!

Jennie Stamp

Jennie Stamp

Questionnaires are, I think, one of the most common forms of market research. But how do you make sure they're as good as they can possibly be? I once filled in a questionnaire that was so intrusive that I stopped and gave up with it half way through!

What are people NOT happy to give information about? And how much effort are they really willing to put into their answers? For example, I personally prefer 'yes' or 'no' questions, and box ticking. I hate the ones where it asks you to order things from most important to least important.
From my point of view the most important factor would be the length of the questionnaire. Keep it as short as possible and make sure the questions are simply and easy to understand. It is very off putting if you have to read the questions multiple times before you understand what's being asked :)

P

Pete Brindle

From my point of view the most important factor would be the length of the questionnaire. Keep it as short as possible and make sure the questions are simply and easy to understand. It is very off putting if you have to read the questions multiple times before you understand what's being asked :)

Thanks.

I'm hoping to put something together within the next couple of weeks. I may actually post it here just on the off chance anyone can glance at it and tell me what's right/wrong about it!

Jennie Stamp

Jennie Stamp

Thanks.

I'm hoping to put something together within the next couple of weeks. I may actually post it here just on the off chance anyone can glance at it and tell me what's right/wrong about it!
I'm more than happy to have a look through it for you. Just let me know :)

L

Lauren Turner

Did you ever do this? Ask what you need and nothing more. My business is quite simple, and I put a flyer out on a table at some coffee mornings where people could tick the items that they felt as though they would be interested in at some point in the future. I also attached an order form and a fair amount of people did actually fill it in! People won't do things if they're too long or too intrusive so if you can cope without knowing too many details then I say that's always better to be honest.