By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Prescription Charges Debate

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Next month will see the prescription charge reduced from £5 to £4. We've had a few visits to the doctors recently which has made me more aware of these charges.

I did a bit of research and now understand that the Scottish Government intends to scrap these by 2011 at a cost of £40million.

I'd be interested in hearing your views on whether you think that this charge is fair. I totally agree that people who cant afford them should not have to pay but what's a decent level for people who have the means to pay to essentially not make the cost so high.

I'm conscious of this more also as a result of my wife now working in nursing and hearing alot about what challenges they face. £40million pounds seems a lot of money for the NHS to lose and I would hate to think this gets funded out of cuts to other parts of the NHS.

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
I've got asthma, so regularly (every two months or so) need to get a repeat prescription for my inhalers. I don't mind paying £6 for each inhaler, but I suppose I'm not getting prescriptions regularly.

When I had problems with my skin, the dermatologist had me on four or five different medications (plus inhalers) - the bill for this was extortionate, and I had to get it replenished monthly. On this occasion, I paid for a Pre Payment Certificate thingy, which costs around £30 and lasts for four months. Everything you get prescribed during that period is free of charge... so the argument of "I have so many items on my prescription, it's extortionate" doesn't really work.

£40mill does seem a ridiculous amount to be chucking away - but so was the removal of the Forth Road Bridge tolls.

D

Dizzydiza

I don't understand why people with asthma don't get free prescriptions. For most, it is a life long illness. I get free prescriptions for an under active thyroid. I have to pop a pill for the rest of my life. I am also at a loss at how the government plan to raise the money that these prescription charges usually raise.....I guess time will tell!