By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Podcasts anyone?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi All,

I've already recorded a few podcasts with a view to having these as a permanent feature on the site. How many people on here actually download podcasts at present? What subjects etc would interest you?

Am I right in thinking this is a good idea and I should continue to do more or do you think it's mostly a waste of time.

Appreciate your views :)

nothing does

nothing does

I think if the content is relevant people will listen to them and if you are sat in front of a computer for most of your working day what a great way to learn while you work. It may even stop me listening to Six Music!

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I think thats a great point David in that the content has to be relevant. What sort of content do you think would be suited to SBF. You could take it two ways. One being a sort of here's how I did it by interviewing people who have set up businesses. The other would be more of a tutorial aspect, getting people with different skills to talk through various aspects of business. Or you could even have a mixture of the two.

Thoughts?

nothing does

nothing does

I think you could do several 'getting started' podcasts offering advice from others like you mention and maybe some that outline different aspects of running a business, almost like 'accounting for dummies' etc. I only wish I knew what I do now when I started my company last year. Simple things like accountacy and VAT that are a necessary evil of running business. Also Marketing/advertising tips with case studies. I think it's a really smart idea and if they are 'sold' with the idea that you can learn as you work/travel what's to lose?

Boxby

I am very interested in this thread, as I was talking yesterday to someone who suggested podcasts for our site. I will gladly assist with in anyway I can with your podcasts, and would also be interested in discussing this further with you.

Kind regards
Sandra

Last edited by a moderator:

alanbold

Part of my business involves producing podcasts and so I listen to loads, if the content is good then they are a great but beware pod fatigue where you start enthusiastically but due to the time & effort involved in recording / producing shows you end up skipping shows. My advice to people entering the world of podcasts is to promise occasional shows at the beginning rather than regular weekly / monthly shows untill at least you are confident that you have the time & resources to do so. I listen to a couple of podcasts that relate to small businesses and so I can see it working for a site like this especially if you can get a sponser for the podcasts which will mean you can outsource a lot of the production.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Alan,

Nice to see you posting again! Great idea about the sponsor, it certainly gives me something else to think about. How easy do you think it would be to attract a sponsor for the podcasts being that this is still a very new project. I might actually send you one of the ones I recorded using my podcast mic and you can let me know what you think :)

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking