By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

online payment systems

frockery

frockery

I have been driven to distraction by failed transactions via Paypal for some months now. So much so that I decided to get Worldpay set up as an alternative for customers....

I am beginning to wonder why I bothered as most of my orders have been paid for by cheque or BACS for the past couple of weeks.

Yet again tonight, a returning customer was knocked back by Paypal and had to send her order in by email with a cheque to follow.

Meanwhile Worldpay don't even reply to queries. Despite their having taken my money for the past 8 weeks, they have not activated the system yet and have failed to reply to emails after their totally disastrous upgrade.. :mad:

Obviously most customers won't bother if the system doesn't work first time and I am grateful I have some perseverant souls who shop with me. While I may be OK at selling frocks, I am somewhat stymied when payment systems let me down. :(

Rant over! (till next time)

TomB

TomB

Hi frockery.

Is your site setup for worldpay. I had this problem before the one thing they forget to tell you is that you need to activate the shop installation before they will set the shop live.

You fill a form on their website and then they visit your site make a test purchase and if they are happy with it they set your account live.

Have you got your world pay login for the adminisatration side of it?

If you need any help just let me know. ;)

T

Boxby

Paypal have been a complete nightmare for me recently too. They have changed something which means that the customer doesn't return to our site properly, which means the database doesn't update for the payment code, which means the whole thing goes pear shaped.

I am pulling the plug on Paypal. This is one of the reasons, the other, i have to admit is their attitude that the customer is king, and the merchant is sh"". Unilateral action 100% in favour of customer before even contacting the merchant is not a fair way to do business as far as I am concerned.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison,

I'm by no means an expert on online payment systems but I would agree it must be very frustrating if it's also losing you sales.

I've used Paypal myself for a few years without any issues. I have read recently that Worldpay has made some changes that many people are not happy with. What other payment processors are there? Is Google Checkout a viable alternative? It's a real shame you dont seem to be able to find a stable solution.

Are you aware what is causing these payments to fail and is it a consistent issue? As these forums get bigger I would hope that we would be able to send these people emails and say hey you're pi**ing our members off! but until then all I can offer is a little group hug and hope things get better :p

frockery

frockery

Thanks, Tom.

Yes, we have filled in their damned form a million times and it evidently hasn't been saving the info. Jimmy (my technical expert) tells me they seem to have had a problem with Firefox, but that is all beyond me.

Anyway we appear to have made some progress in that they allege they are testing the site before activating it. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the support!

I so wish I understood this stuff. :confused:

frockery

frockery

Thanks, Sandra and ! :)

You would think that someone somewhere would be able to come up with a system that actually worked!!! It can't be that difficult for techie people.... Stu???

I must admit that on the plus side it allows me to get to know some customers quite well as they ring up and just say "Paypal" now before ordering on the phone and paying by cheque. I had a new customer this week who was ordering a lot of stuff for a stage show and once she had decided on the order went off to pay the invoice by Paypal, only to be told that she couldn't because her husband had a Paypal account!!!! :eek:

Thank you for the group hug. I know I am not alone in my frustration! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
TomB

TomB

thats ok i remember how long it took me to get my head around it the first time.

When i was waiting on it, i sent a rather rude email to them telling them they were useless and they replied saying you haven't activated the site.

So then i complained that they didn't actually clearly advertise it on their site.

Just a footnote do you know that if your a member of the federation of small businesses you can save money on the transcation fees for Worldpay. My client joined just to get that, saves her quite a bit of money.

T

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Which version of PayPal are you using?

Do you have a merchant account?

If you have a merchant account, have you thought about giving ProTX a go? :)

www.protx.com

I am pulling the plug on Paypal. This is one of the reasons, the other, i have to admit is their attitude that the customer is king, and the merchant is sh"". Unilateral action 100% in favour of customer before even contacting the merchant is not a fair way to do business as far as I am concerned.
PayPal are just a nightmare generally. They're no better if you just use them as a customer. The other day they pushed my 'pin money' account into overdraft my about

frockery

frockery

Which version of PayPal are you using?

Do you have a merchant account?

If you have a merchant account, have you thought about giving ProTX a go? :)

www.protx.com
I use Paypal business (no frills version) and just wanted Worldpay as an alternative because lots of people don't like Paypal and it often fails.

I don't have a merchant account as it's a relatively new business (only in second year) but that will be the next step.

Thanks again, folks! :)

frockery

frockery

I've a few new straplines for them though.....

PayPal, the payment processor of last resort....

or how about....

PayPal; for when it seemed like a good idea at the time.....

:D :D
Both seem to apply in my case.... :D

For a brand new business, it seemed temptingly simple to use Paypal to begin with, but then I hadn't yet found any of you lot to dispense such valuable advice. :)

Sal and I have oft spoken of the pitfalls we could have avoided *if only* we had found the right advice from the outset.

Brian McIntosh

I have paypal on my site but most, if not all of my recent customers have called up to ask if they could send cheques or arrange some other payment method.

Alison, maybe you should start a thread called "The things not to do when starting up". I could add quite a few posts to it!!

frockery

frockery

Alison, maybe you should start a thread called "The things not to do when starting up". I could add quite a few posts to it!!
We'll have to get Sally in on that one too! :D

SBF potentially has an important role to play in supporting fledgling entrepreneurs who may feel a bit isolated and are probably also pretty cash strapped to begin with.

It is frustrating to hear of so many people falling down the same old holes - although I suppose it is character building (to a certain extent!)

PC

PC

I used PayPal merchant services for a year or so and have never had any problems with it but then I use it for payments made over the phone rather than having an online shop.

Maybe Frockery's experience is a one-off?

Brian McIntosh

There are easier ways to build up character. I think a lot of it is down to having the confidence to ask questions. Especially on forums like this one. When I started out I wouldn't have even contemplated asking questions on forums because people might have thought I was stupid for not knowing. Now I'm older and more experienced I don't care. As Mr Tarrant says "It's only easy if you know the answer." I've even been known to help out where I can (sometimes for free:eek:).

Maybe Frockery's experience is a one-off?
Hardly! If you do a bit of googling you'll find literally hundreds of thousands of complaints against PayPal. And they all follow the same pattern of...

1) No will to resolve the matter

2) Responses that are meant to exhaust the complainer into giving up

3) No real regard for user security (either buyer or seller)

4) A whole raft of flim-flam policies designed to deflect attention from their failings

In Short, you have in PayPal as system that is neither competent nor run on anything resembling an ethical basis. Their main priority seems to be to get people to shut up rather than deal with the issues...

They depend on the fact that few users will have the legal resources to hold out against them; that and vacuous statistics. Bear in mind that a 99.9% customer satisfaction rating means that out of every thousand transactions one lost money; often serious amounts of it....

http://www.screw-paypal.com/paypal_fraud/paypal_high_fraud.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/paypal_fraud.html

When I recently alerted them to the fact that one of their 'fraud alert' buttons routed users to the wrong place they claimed to be "unable" to correct that. When I pointed out how ludicrous that statement was I was told to complain to some banking commission in Luxembourg! They have only an automated phone presence; you'll spend half an hour chasing your own tail and STILL not get to talk to a human being....

Character building? Hmmm... Well if the character you want to build is a quivering bankrupt wreck... :rolleyes:

Well 'good' for them at least.... It helps them enormously in abdicating their responsibilities!

We're a forum of somewhere around 100 people. You'd probably find a handful who, at some point, have had issues with PayPal.... 3%-4% of users. Extrapolate that figure up through the 68 MILLION accounts and

frockery

frockery

And they don't even have human beings at the end of a phone to deal with complaints??
That is the final insult, having to talk to a computer and then the computer answering back with "sorry, did you mean this?" (it obviously doesn't understand Doric :)); then answering a standard question bearing no relation to the one you attempted to ask. My flying phone was on its way to creating a significant dent in the wall by that point.

I believe ebay is now insisting that all its sellers use Paypal now (nice profit driven move as Paypal is owned by ebay).

I believe ebay is now insisting that all its sellers use Paypal now (nice profit driven move as Paypal is owned by ebay).
Quite so... However my theory on this one is that it's a reaction to falling useage on Ebay. It's a bit of a desperate tactic.....

Once upon a time (just a very short while ago) Ebay was a haven for collectors of the obscure..; for hobbyists, enthusiasts.. Now there are a lot of things you just can't get off Ebay...

Why? Put simply they've hacked so many people off folk are going back to the car boot sale. If I were for instance looking for parts for my old Porsche I'd no longer try Ebay first. Rather I'd look for info though one of the many online forums and buy from someone's online store. Indeed I'd be lucky to find anything useful for the old girl on Ebay these days.. Same with watch parts, memorabilia. The small-time dealers who are at the heart of Ebay are being used, abused and eventually driven away from Ebay. It's a business in crisis; a crisis brought about by its own basic lack of integrity..

Ebay's complaints handling techniques are EXACTLY the same as PayPal's... PayPal/Ebay have their eye on ONE performance indicator... Profit. Now't wrong with that of course Except what's probably happening is the business is contracting in terms of its customer/transaction base. These latest changes WILL stabilise or possible increase profits in the short term. My guess though is that you can expect to see the group hived off in the next 1-3 years....

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking