By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Online Fraud

Brian McIntosh

Did anyone see the report on the news this morning about the level of credit card fraud? Apparently it's in the region of half a billion pounds and growing. What shocked me the most was, call me naive here, that there is a website where anyone can get CC numbers, CVV numbers, expiry dates, DOB, addresses for thousands of cards. WTF is that about? I was genuinely shocked.

frockery

frockery

Yes, I saw that too. Scary stuff. And as the report pointed out, it's the small businesses that pick up the tab for any fraudulent transactions, not the banks.

TomB

TomB

that's typical though isn't it.

it's never the banks that pick up anything except profits from you.

I've heard of those sites before. there are other sites where people can bid on other people's personal details and all that. Very scary stuff!!!

I make sure that not a single piece of paper leaves my house without being cross shredded. Am a bit paranoid like that.

frockery

frockery

I make sure that not a single piece of paper leaves my house without being cross shredded. Am a bit paranoid like that.
Pity you can't rely on the banks and the govt to do the same....:(

Brian McIntosh

I also shred every piece of paper leaving my house as a friend of mine had his identity stolen. The crap he has to deal with now is frightening. FFS, an auction site for credit card details. That's really scary. :eek:. Is it totally safe buying online then? If I buy anything online I always check that the padlock icon is there. Is this sufficient??

TomB

TomB

i would hate that to happen, and i really feel very sorry for anyone that happens to. I can't imagine what it must put someone through.

I would say so, I found this on the times online website:

How do I know that an online shopping website is genuine?

The Howard web tool has been developed by the European Commission to alert shoppers to bogus websites. It is being launched in Britain on December 3, just in time for the Christmas spending surge.

Fake websites offering eye-catching deals to lure unsuspecting shoppers into divulging bank or credit card details are a growing problem.

Howard will enable you to check information about individual websites, including when and where the site was registered, whether it has any formal accreditation and consumer comments about the site on internet chat forums.

You will be able to access the tool from ukecc.net.

Online retailers must give consumers the chance to check the details they input before their order is placed.

The retailer also has to give full details of who they are and both a geographical and an e-mail address. It is also a good idea to try to get a contact telephone number if possible.

Always print out your order confirmation, which is usually sent to an e-mail address when you make an online purchase.

If an e-mail is sent confirming acceptance of your order, you have a legally binding contract, but if it just acknowledges your order, you don

ahop23

how are sites like this even allowed to operate? Shouldn't someone step in and close these down in a flash?

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Unfortunately, because the Internet is global, there are countries that simply don't care. Unless we moved to make the Internet segregated (i.e. completely moderated like China do),there's not much hope for shutting down the sites.

The second problem is that as soon as one site is shut down, another can start up... after all, all you need is a server to host the site, and any hacked computer in the world can act as a server without the owner's knowledge :(

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking