By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Not a good start

D

Dizzydiza

Ok just having a wee moan to myself and to the world in general.
It not been a good start to the year yet. First illness and I am still not 100% fit. Then my first tiara pickup was a no show. I suspect that she may now be waiting till payday before contacting me again. My first appointment of the year called off due to a death in the family. I have had a few email enquiries but until I get the firm appointment, then that's all they are.
I do have a couple of other appointments booked for this month and the wedding fayre on Sunday, then I have a demonstration at a Craft club a few days later. So fingers crossed that they are more successful. I think what would really cheer me up though is a wee bit of sunshine and I guess a few more orders eh :thumbup:

Hi Diana

Oh no sorry to hear that, its not sounding too good but hopefully it will pick up.

I've had, a good friend of mine's grandad was killed in a car crash, my neighbour died of cancer, my other friend's nana died and hubby's aunt has cancer :(

But from a business point of view, not doing to badly, got a couple of big orders through, have been asked to organise a ladies pamper night and got about half a dozes enquiries so hoping that they lead to something.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Diana,

Sorry to hear that :(

I dont think I could do much about the sunshine either given the time of year :p

What I will say though is hang in there, i'm sure it will come alright in the end :) I dont normally do this but as a special wee pick me up why dont you give me something that I can put into the newsletter towards the end of January themed around valentines day. I'm sure loads of people will be needing hints and tips about what to buy and what better than a one off piece of jewellery. Drop me a pm and we ca run through a few ideas :)

jimbairn

jimbairn

Oh well, I thought I was the only one having a rotten start to the year... I caught this flu thingy on Christmas Eve and, like Diana, it's never quite gone away - leaving me with this hacking cough fit that sneaks up and ambushes me every so often. When i shut down for Christmas I had more or less cleared the decks but had lots of potential meetings and events to follow up on including one very promising enquiry about cartons for training with the NHS. I spent most of last week trying to phone, email, meet the people involved... and got absolutely nowhere. No one answering phones, no-one replying to emails, jobs put on hold. I'll be trying again this week but it looks like December and January are going to be very quiet, very lean months. Bank managers not going to be happy...

frockery

frockery

Sorry to hear about illness knocking you back, Diana and Jim, and hope you will be better soon. When you are feeling rotten, everything always seems so much worse.

I am finding watching the news a surreal experience at the moment as nothing seems to be stopping the avalanche of redundancies, repossessions and business failures (or should that be bank failures?) and nobody in the govt seems to have a clue what to do about it apart from print money.

Perhaps we should take some comfort in the fact that we are all small businesses who can probably ride out the storm a bit better than the seriously leveraged big boys. Not much of a consolation, I know, but as long as we can keep a small amount of cash flowing, we can probably survive.

Once the sun comes back, I'm sure we'll all feel re-energised, more positive and more enthusiastic. :)

D

Dizzydiza

Aww Vicky sounds like your not having a good start either. Just to clarify though its not me that's had a death in the family it was my customer who had a family death....hence her cancelling the appointment.
Jim fingers crossed for you for things to pick up. Look if you want send me some business cards and I will put them on my table on Sunday at The Plough...in fact I could just give them out as I am giving out my cards.
Thank s ....I will pm you. :)
I think the point of my thread is that I am basically just feeling very sorry for myself and sometimes writing it down and hearing a few words of encouragement can make that wee bit of difference.
So thanks guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a January thing. Yesterday my car decided to 'die' en route to Stow. A stupid Rotor arm (about £5 worth) that hadn't been changed when I'd asked for it to be! That's what I get for being a lazy barsteward and getting someone else to do the basic servicing!

And when I finally DID get to Stow I found most of the students didn't come back from the field assignment my colleague had very kindly and quickly set them off on. Just to put the tin hat on it the head of department closed the day with a 'staff meeting' at which he outlined the change in culture that he wants to see in the department. I am perfectly serious when I say my (typically long, rambling but very detailed) letter of resignation is 2/3 finished.

BUT.... the bits to service the car are only £50 all up. 9AM and the FEDEX bloke has just brought the box of bits that were only ordered yesterday afternoon. I'll have it back on the road later today or tomorrow. I've learned that everything I learned as a teenage petrol head is just as valid today as it was then. The AA were surprisingly efficient in recovering the car; the bloke even took the time done his best to get it going at the roadside (I'd have just towed it!). And I'll probably soberly reflect on the fact that if I did quit I'd only be dumping on my students and the solitary colleague who forms the other half of the TV section....

Ach; I'll quit during the summer holidays when the business has taken a spurt skywards and I'm booked out 'till 2015... :001_rolleyes:

As that scary wumman used to sing.... "The Only Way Is Up"

D

davidc

Hi Diana. Please remember that if life was always good, then we would not appreciate the good times. Everyone gets down from time to time, and that's normal. Chin up and keep going because I PROMISE that you will feel better in a few hours or days. That is guaranteed.....Just look what has happened already with the help from .

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeorge Waters

Jeorge Waters

You know having a loan is not the most awful thing ever. Many students start their way with a student loan and they manage to gain success. So, you can do the same. Sometimes, taking a loan is the only way out. I myself use https://cashcat.ph/ quite often.