By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

New Users - Signature Links

stugster

stugster

Hi All.

In an attempt to reduce spammers on the forums we have set up a little rule that prevents new users from adding signature links.

Once you reach 10 posts on the forums, you will automatically be able to add a link in your signature.

We're doing this as a way to catch out spammers. The most obvious ones will quickly post 10 posts until they can spam their website, and by limiting it, makes these people stand out like a sore toe.

If anyone has any problems with their signatures and are over the 10 post requirement, please feel free to reply here or send myself or a PM :)

and myself discussed this method in great detail and we strongly feel that 10 posts shouldn't cause many problems, and for a genuine user of the forum community is easily obtainable.

All the best,

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
EmployEasily Legal Services

Good idea stugster!

What about allowing images in signatures for regular forum users? I'd love to be able to include my twitter feed in my sig but can't because BB image code isn't allowed.

stugster

stugster

Hi Intrepid,

There are two things that would concern me in allowing images to be put on signatures, the first could be resolved quite easily.

1) The amount of resources it might take to actually store all these images on the server itself would probably make the SBF loading times a little higher. As the forums grew, this would likely slow the forums down considerably. If we set it up so that images for signatures were linked in from external hosts/image sites, then this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

2) In the forums I have frequented that do allow images in the signatures, it can become extremely confusing (even for me, a forum (s)addict!) to try and work out where the actual posts are and pick the useful context out of the threads.

Images and excessive lines on signatures can make it extremely difficult to read. I think it would probably be best to keep it to a maximum of 5 or so lines of text only, so that it keeps the forums legible.

That's just my own opinion though, and by no means really means anything! I'm sure will have a think about this and decide in due course if it would be a good idea. In the meantime, if anyone else would like to have the facilities to do this, please post! :)

Thanks Intrepid!:)

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

In the forums I have frequented that do allow images in the signatures, it can become extremely confusing .... to try and work out where the actual posts are and pick the useful context out of the threads.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing. One possible solution might be to limit the image to, say, 24 x 24 pixels.

Of course, SBF already allows images in the message header. Personally, that's good enough for me.

Mike

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have to agree with Stu on this and I dont think at present that we'll allow images.

We will be doing some other changes which I have summarised in the private forum and would love all your feedback :)

I will promise though to have a look at this again in the next few months as I think it's important we continue to evolve and improve the forums.

stugster

stugster

Hi Eagle,

Sorry, I didn't ignore your previous post. I wanted to leave you to post a couple more messages to see if it was just the members group you were in.

Appears to work now tho :p

Sandra: Yeah, I try ;) To be honest though, does most of it. I tend to just break it! :D

Boxby

I'm after a vbulletin install, with maybe a bit extra stuff to include the main navigation etc........

(Khalid was going to do it......)

stugster

stugster

Ah right. Send me an email S.
Stuart.Gilbertson AAAAAT EasyPCScotland.co.uk :)

G

Gouldie0

Hi Stu,

Having a little trouble with my signature, it seems to be showing in the html code. Can you help??

I have been away from the site for a while without posting so not sure what's happened to my account.

Kind Regards

Neil

Pink Nik

Pink Nik

Thanks for this post! i thought i was getting left out not being allowed to add links, but i'll be patient and let it come to me!! lol :D

Cheers! :)

stugster

stugster

You'll be surprised how quickly you make it to that crucial post ;)

J

JedHatton92

Great idea, they should do this on other forums aswell.

I think to really get rid of spammers there should be a one week freeze (plus a 10 post limit) until members can post links.

This way they can spam for the 10 post count and then realise they still have to wait a week to post links. Admins can just identify the spammer and remove him before damage is done.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Jed,

We've had this policy for a while now and it seems to work for us. This in combination with some either checks we perform before approving any account really help to pretty much eradicate any spam. I'm actually pretty proud of the fact that we dont get very much.

To be honest though it doesn't end there either. We constantly review everyone's posts and anyone thought to be spamming will be contacted by PM and asked to stop. It's a kind of one strike and your out which might seem harsh but seems to work for us and keeps the quality of posts high :)