By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

New news!

For those that haven't heard it's a bit of a red letter day for us media types as Scotland's first web-only national daily newspaper launched last night

The Caledonian Mercury will be edited by Stewart Kirkpatrick, who ran the Scotsman’s website from 2000 to 2007. Start-up costs have been financed by Kirkpatrick and his partners at their marketing consultancy W00tonomy.

Kirkpatrick said he believed the success of the Caledonian Mercury will lie in a combination of online journalism and an innovative way to use print.

He said: "The first thing is we are keeping our costs really, really tight. And the second thing is we are being innovative about how we use print.

"Print is a big part of our business model. We view a print product as a premium purchase, a desirable object rather than tomorrow's chip paper."

The print version of the paper will initially be released quarterly and Kirkpatrick is hoping to sell it online. The site will rely on advertising and sponsorship to generate revenue and Kirkpatrick has opted to focus on a few key niche editorial areas to attract readers and advertisers.

The website's title is a deliberate nod to these subjects as it is a resurrection of one of Scotland's first news journals. The original Caledonian Mercury began publication in 1720 and lasted until 1860.

He said: "If you want in depth coverage of Scottish life and heritage there aren't that many resources. We have identified gaps in the market.

"Our approach will be to, wherever possible, be as different from traditional newspapers as possible."

first issue online now at....

Caledonian Mercury: News, stories and intelligent analysis from Scotland

Canary Dwarf

Canary Dwarf

It's the way forward Matt, and Stewart has his finger on the pulse. Journalists and publishers have fought against the internet believing it will ruin them. The Caledonian Mercury will prove that online publishing ventures can be successful.

The paradox is that people are buying less and less newspapers but consuming more and more news. There's a lot of good quality journalism by web-only publishers in the technology world, but not much in local or indeed national news. That reveals an opportunity that Stewart is hoping to fill.

Coincidentally, I blogged about the launch of the Caledonian Mercury earlier today

It's the way forward Matt, and Stewart has his finger on the pulse. Journalists and publishers have fought against the internet believing it will ruin them. The Caledonian Mercury will prove that online publishing ventures can be successful.

I believe so Marc. And I think this is quite an inspiring day for the media in Scotland as it becomes apparent that traditional media's best hope, not only for survival but progress, lies with new and emerging platforms.

Resistance to change of any kind has defined the agenda of certain quarters within the industry. And I could (but wont :lol: ) rant for pages about the reasons why I no longer carry an NUJ card and went over to the BAJ.... :)

But certainly this is a very positive move forward and I look forward to the printed 'in depth' publication as something that will compliment this valuable, very useable resource.

I'll certainly be raising a glass to it's success later on tonight! And to Stewart I say well played sir!

Canary Dwarf

Canary Dwarf

Resistance to change of any kind has defined the agenda of certain quarters within the industry. And I could (but wont :lol: ) rant for pages about the reasons why I no longer carry an NUJ card and went over to the BAJ.... :)

A fellow BAJ member hey? Not often you find two of those in the same room! I too dumped the NUJ when all it became was a very expensive magazine subscription.

A fellow BAJ member hey? Not often you find two of those in the same room! I too dumped the NUJ when all it became was a very expensive magazine subscription.

T'was their determination to persuade all the turkeys to vote for Christmas that got to me... :sad: I'm also an EIS member and currently having the same problem with them!

I keep meaning to get some figures from the BAJ on how many broadcast/TV members there are... Probably just me and Top Gear Dog... :D