By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

New Hire Business

S

Shaun619

Good evening all.

I have been looking to start up a small business on the side for a long time. I am wondering has anyone here done this type of thing themselves? If so are you likely to run yourself into the ground?

To give a bit of background I already work 45 hours plus in a week as a supervisor of a warehouse. The business I have rolling around my head is to get a hold of a mini digger buy an old pickup and trailer in the first instance and rent the digger out. Few things have to happen first. I need a small warehouse for storage and in an ideal world I need to source a business partner. I think having someone else on board is smart as two minds are better than one and although I have business and management knowledge I need someone who is good with invoices and stuff like that. My forty is managing day to day operations and working the long hours transporting the machine. ( I grew up on a farm I am used to working all the hours in the week.

I'm looking for thoughts and advise. any is much appreciated. I am based in Angus Scotland.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

A

Aaron M Jensen

I know it's not commonly said, but consider "starting a business" as a last option. This changes your decision making because you'll need "good" reasons for putting yourself and/or family/friends through the hassle. Also, my suggestion is to find your first customer before engaging further in the process: Customer = Someone who will benefit + willing to trade resources (usually money) for your services. Always test your ideas with real people who might use your services.