By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Networking Small Talk - Some tips

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
S

sarah1

Thanks for the link! You would think that being a writer, I wouldn't run out of things to say, but I public speaking has never been my forte. I prefer to sit on the beach at Dunnet Bay, write and watch the surfers all day as opposed to talking to a lot of people.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Sarah - one of the many things that I do is writing, and I am always running out of things to say. And I always worry that if I bottle out and say "okay, got to go now" or something to walk to someone else, that might ruin my chances of actually making any successful contacts at all.

I like the question about charity events because I'm involved in a lot of those myself, so I would certainly be able to give interesting answers if that particular question was returned to me.

sandra

sandra

Networking events still strike fear into me! I find the walking into the room part the most difficult especially when you dont know anyone.

Then having to think what to say just makes it seem even more daunting. I like the idea of having maybe a little card with some questions on it to try and start some conversations. I might do that and add some of the tips from the post above.

Sandra x

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Networking events still strike fear into me! I find the walking into the room part the most difficult especially when you dont know anyone.

Then having to think what to say just makes it seem even more daunting. I like the idea of having maybe a little card with some questions on it to try and start some conversations. I might do that and add some of the tips from the post above.

Sandra x

I know, me too. I will do anything I possibly can to make sure that I don't actually attend an event on my own. I will usually make sure that someone I know in the industry will be there, even if it's just someone who I vaguely know and can therefore aim for. I'm so socially awkward at times it's unreal, and very unhelpful in situations like these! Working from home definitely doesn't help matters!