By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Need help with google

P

PaulWood

I work for a small web design agency in Glasgow. We offer basic SEO services and I try my hardest to keep up with current SEO trends. I am worried about Google’s new caffeinated results, the rankings of our own site and some of our clients we have done SEO for are losing ground big time. Do any of the SEO’s here know when the caffeinated results will go live and is there anything we can do in the meantime to regain lost ground?

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

One thing I did notice when taking caffeine for a test drive was that design-insite . co . uk ranks on the first page of the caffeinated results for the term Internet Marketing Scotland. This is a domain that I own but it was 301’d to escocian . com over three months ago. Also, I have recently been targeting the term Search Engine Optimisation which is currently sitting around the bottom of page three, yet in the caffeinated results it’s on page 7.

My take on this is that an old data set is being used for the test. This would explain why design-insite.co.uk is indexed in the caffeinated data set and escocian.com in the decaffeinated data set. This is further supported with a fall back in my rankings for Search Engine Optimisation to the level it was about three-four months ago.

When I checked, the caffeinated results were being served up from a US data centre which is going to skew results even further.

I think it’s too early to be worried that another ‘Florida’ is about to beseech us. I feel the timing of the announcements of both Caffeine and Google Wave, while both in beta, is more a calculated response designed to dull the shine of Bing

P

PaulWood

Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean about the domains. Cheers!