By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

National Minimum Wage - Changing In October 2014!

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

On the 1st of October 2014 the National Minimum Wage (NMW) increases.

You must pay your employees at least the National Minimum Wage and keep evidence to prove it. The link below takes you to the current and revised October rates:

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Good to hear. People who are working a lot of hours should see an extra few pounds in their pay packets. I wonder what will happen in case of a "yes" vote, though? Will a UK minimum wage still apply to Scotland, or will we be free to do our own thing? I doubt that anything will change too greatly this year as they will want to ease things through gently, but in the future I somehow doubt that they would have to comply with the rest of the UK on this matter!

L

Lauren Turner

Well this won't have any impact on me, because I still charge per item and not per hour, and I don't have staff. But on the whole I do think it's a good thing. Sometimes I do end up working for less than minimum wage but then it sort of makes up for it when I'm at a coffee morning and can make lots of sales. I don't tend to think of making the actual items as working because I enjoy it so much, and I know how lucky I am to have a job where that's that case when a lot of people don't even have a choice.