By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Music4Uonline - music solutions for businesses

H

HMcRae

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum having found it through a link in one of Jim Barker's Monday cartoons - he is registered here as Jimbairn.

I am a director with GMS (Recordings) Ltd, having joined the company in 2006 with the specific remit of launching one of our products, music4Uonline. Music4U was the UK's first licensed download service for 'public performance' music. It remains the only legal way for businesses to play music downloads from their PCs without getting additional licenses on top of the basic public performance ones. My father and I started development of music4U back at the turn of 2003/4 and are very proud of how far it has now come.

Some of you may already know me from my work in trying to raise awareness of the public performance rules and the licenses required. I have spoken on the subject for various organisations including the FSB and at the National Licensed Business Show. If anyone needs any advice on PPL/PRS or MCPS licensing, give me a shout and I'll do my best to explain what is required (and allowed!).

Aside from other contact on here, I would love to hear from anyone whose business sells technology into businesses with public areas (e.g. bars, shops, hotels, restaurants etc.). We are currently looking to link up with partners who can include music4U in their existing offering (in exchange for a decent commission, of course!). At present we work with audio and satellite installers and PC/IT and EPOS suppliers, but mainly in England, so I'd love to link up with similar businesses in Scotland.

If I can be of assistance to anyone in any other way, I'd love to hear from you.

All the best :)

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Heather, delighted to meet you....I'll have a wee rooted around your website...looks very interesting.

Welcome to the forum, and look forward to reading your posts.

Kind regards

Gordon
PLC

H

HMcRae

Gordon,

Assuming the other Heather is talking about what I think she's talking about, Pandora is not (in this case anyway),a person. It is a sort of online radio station and music recommendation service based in the States and provided by the Music Genome Project (see Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music). It's quite a funky service that basically asks you to tell it what music you like and from that offers suggestions of other similar music that you might like. Then you have to tell it what you think of the suggestions and it uses your preferences to tailor future recommendations.

Earlier this year (or possibly last year),the copyright bodies announced that Pandora was only legal in the States and UK IP addresses were blocked from accessing it from some time in January, I think. They have the right copyright in place for the US and they're still trying to get licenses for other countries, but the UK has one of the most expensive licenses, so I think it'll be a while before it'll be available over here again.

I hope that I'm thinking of the same Pandora!

D

Dizzydiza

Welcome to the forum Heather.....your just up the road from me. I work from home in Grangemouth. :)

fantasycouriers

fantasycouriers

Hi Heather

Could you provide music for our online flash game?

Kind regards
Sandra

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Heather,

Welcome to SBF :) I have a question for you as well with regards to podcasting. Whats the rules with regards to music in podcasts etc? I'm guessing just the same ?

jimbairn

jimbairn

Hello Heather

Good to see you here. And thanks for the plug over on my own introductory thread.

H

HMcRae

Sorry for the delay in re-posting - bit hectic over here!

Dizzydiza - yes, we are indeed just up the road. Where abouts in Grangemouth are you? Where do you sell your jewellery?

FantasyCouriers - no, unfortunately we provide public-performance music rather than digital background music. Is it copyright music that you're looking for or just something random for the background? Might be able to point you in the right direction.

hynd - any use of copywritten music in a podcast (however short the clip) must have prior permission from the writer/publisher and record label. MCPS offer a couple of licenses for this purpose (covering the writer/publisher part of the equation),but PPL do not, so each track would have to be agreed directly with the corresponding record label. Does that help? If you do intend to go down that route, let me know and I'll give you what contact details I have (e.g. the Scottish MCPS chap).

Jimbairn - good to see you too, and always happy to help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking