By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Mortgage Advisor // Independant Financial Advisor Career Advice

D

dennigan123

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read.

I am currently stuck in a rut in regards to my career and looking for some advice/guidance from others!

I am 28 years old, married and have a son who is 7 months old. I currently work in the public sector for the last 4 years after previously working in contractual positions in major international events in IT as well as procurement/financial purchasing. I completed a degree from Open University of Economics and Politics in 2019 and was very proud to achieve this consider the obstacles and challenges of working full time and study part time!

However, I have come to a crossroads in my career and prior to joining my current job, I wanted to utilise my degree in Economics and enter within the finance industry of Mortgage advising and eventually independant finanacial advisor remit. However, I took the route of my current position as a safe option if I am truly honest.

I am intending on studying CeMAP which is the required qualification to become a mortgage advisor but I don't have any direct experience in mortgage advising and trainee positions offering very low salaries with the anticipation of commission. My concern is that this change of career may impact my family and become a huge mistake and unsure of the financial possibilies in the mortgage advising industry?

If anyone has any advice or guidance, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Denni

M

mattymoomoo

Hi Denni,

to be honest i dont know too much about mortgage advising other than having used and met several. My gut instinct is that 1) a degree makes no difference and it will never be utilised, 2) you need to be sales driven to be successful. I.E ideally charismatic, switched on and ok with rejection.

You have one life. If this is what you want to do (not just for the money),find a way to make it happen. I believe this might be one of the roles you can do part-time so work it alongside your safe govt job.

If this is just for the money, i believe you can do very well but you need to be pretty driven and ruthless.

Good luck with it.