By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

monarchy

S

stressmom

I feel kind of like an outsider looking in when I ask this question but I have to know: how do you feel about the monarchy? In the States we are just fascinated by your royals, but so many others that I hear from in the UK are almost indifferent, even antagonistic about the concept. Will the monarchy continue after Elizabeth II or is this the end?

Probably, in one form or another.....

Many countries in Europe have 'token' Royal Families that perform a ceremonial function. And they are one of the those great British traditions that keep the tourists ebbing and flowing...

Personally I know of VERY few people though who regard them as much more than a side show; and an often problematic one at that. But I think foreigners, particularly Americans are given to the impression that they figure much more highly in everyday life than they actually do...

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have to agree, a very expensive waste of money. I dont see what having them brings to the UK as a whole even less so to Scotland. I think it's a very out dated tradition but one i'm sure will be here my entire lifetime.

frockery

frockery

Will the monarchy continue after Elizabeth II or is this the end?
The present incumbent is actually Elizabeth I of Scotland and II of England. Just like old James who was VI of Scotland and only I of England.

In Scotland, it is the People who are sovereign, and while Elizabeth may be the Queen of England, she could only ever be the Queen of Scots (at their pleasure). The Declaration of Arbroath, which is said to have influenced the American Declaration of Independence, is probably the most significant document in Scotland's history, asserting Scotland's own independence and the sovereignty of the people.

Personally, I think the monarchy are all a total waste of space, not to mention money, but some folk seem to find them entertaining. :)