By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Mentor or not

ilinedesigns

ilinedesigns

Is it worth while having a mentor or not?
Any ideas out there?

G

Gouldie0

Hi,

I think it depends on what stage your at in establishing your business, overall though I would say that it's a great idea but at some point you could feel that you no longer need a mentor and in turn could become a mentor yourself - giving something back as they say.

We all have to start off somewhere and we can't be expected to know absolutely everything regarding our jobs - no one would have any development plans otherwise.

Are you looking for a mentor or are you looking to mentor someone?

Kind Regards

Neil

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I would think having a mentor would be a very positive thing provided you can find someone who shares the vision and believes in the business. New businesses will always make mistakes so a mentor who has been there and done it can really help save you money and also challenge you on certain aspects of the business which you have mayve overlooked.

I've been looking for a mentor myself for a while but I have to say I have really struggled, I believe there was a profram via Scottish Enterprise but that might not be the case now.

I actually think that we need a better structure for small businesses in Scotland that really pushes them forward and supports them better and I would include mentoring (where applicable) in this.

If you do find any useful resources in this area then please feel free to share them on the forums :)

ilinedesigns

ilinedesigns

Gouldie0 said:
Hi,

I think it depends on what stage your at in establishing your business, overall though I would say that it's a great idea but at some point you could feel that you no longer need a mentor and in turn could become a mentor yourself - giving something back as they say.

We all have to start off somewhere and we can't be expected to know absolutely everything regarding our jobs - no one would have any development plans otherwise.

Are you looking for a mentor or are you looking to mentor someone?

Kind Regards

Neil
Hi Neil
I have had my business for over a year know. So far I an doing ok, but I think having a mentor for myself may be useful, in that someone can stand back and help point, push or guide in the right direction. That together with making me be asked tough questions. The reason I ask if someone has used or is a mentor, is that I do want my business to grow, both in money and stature terms.

Regards
Billy

ilinedesigns

ilinedesigns

ilinedesigns said:
Hi Neil
I have had my business for over a year know. So far I an doing ok, but I think having a mentor for myself may be useful, in that someone can stand back and help point, push or guide in the right direction. That together with making me be asked tough questions. The reason I ask if someone has used or is a mentor, is that I do want my business to grow, both in money and stature terms.

Regards
Billy
Hi ,
If I find out more I will post the info.

Regards
Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McVicar Marketing

Hi,

I have a business mentor - organised through my local Chamber of Commerce.

After moving myself and my business to a rural area, I’ve found the advice and experience of a business who is well established in (and respected by) the local business community to be absolutely crucial.

As well as providing me with an honest external view of my strategies, my mentor has also been key in helping me to understand the very different approach I need for my business in this new area.

If you have an opportunity to get a mentor, I highly recommend it.

It’s worth noting that – as with all relationships – you have to work at it. And, it can also take a few attempts to find the right mentor.

All best,
Inga

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking