By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Media Analysis 101

As a TV producer and lecturer in TV production I'd like to imagine I have a better-than-average grasp of media analysis. Specifically what makes a programme 'work'; how it's constructed; what visual cues are used. How visual grammar is developed etc etc...

As 'mini programmes' TV adverts are ideal starting points to learn the craft.. Often they are highly sophisticated, bringing together cutting edge visual techniques with concise narrative and powerful messaging...

So with all that in mind can someone tell me what the

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Matt, honestly you've got me rolling on the floor here! I asked that very same question last night as we were watching TV. I just dont get it either. We need to try and find a copy on you tube or something and put it in the thread, see what people think. :)

PC

PC

The very fact that it has a thread on this forum shows that it's worked though!

stugster

stugster

Good point!

I think Cadbury's are actually doing well out of their obscure adverts. Remember the Gorilla on the Drums to Phil Collins?

Now it's Trucks at the Airport to Queen :)

I can't wait for the next one! :D

Haven't bought any chocolate because of it though.

See the Gorilla I could connect with.....

There he was, lord of the jungle; a free spirit creatively connecting with life and at the end of the day he had his just reward; his bar of Cadburys.... And it was quite clever... the tension, the way it all built up to this bizarre image of a wild beast channeling all that energy... That was one cool ape.....

But this looks like a collection of those mad fake-matchbox models of nuffin-in-particular my tightwad uncle would give us boys at Christmas...

There we'd aw' be sitting roon the tree... We'd each get a 'happy boy' bumper pack of these things. And the three of us would sit there hoddin these crazy motors up.... "wizzat meant tae be?" "Dunnno"...."better no say nuffin"... then we'd all smile sweetly and announce in concert "thank you uncle Chou"....

My uncle used to bring shedloads of these piggin' things back from Hong Kong with the intent of trying to punt them to the wee shops around Garnethill; He's probably still got a crateload in his shed.... Or Maybe he's sold them to Cadburys? :eek:

It's just this bizarre mix of Bad models, live action.. No storyline of any kind....

Could this possibly be the effects of snorting, injecting or otherwise abusing Dairy Milk I wonder???

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

You may be on to something there Matt. I'm a Galaxy man myself.... maybe that's why I dont get it :p

TomB

TomB

you know i'm glad i'm not the only one that thought what the f is that all about....

Obviously its meant to leave you thinking that good way to advertise.

Might try that with my own site. i could do dancing washing machines or something completely unrelated to web design :p

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

LOL @ dancing washing machines (or even dancing ice cubes :p)

Is what we are experiencing here this regularly banded saying of viral marketing with the whole idea being it doesn't really have to make sense, it's doing it's job by getting people to talk about it.

TomB

TomB

dancing ice cubes never thought of that!!!!

excellent!!!

i think any form of advertising that has you talking around the water cooler at work is money well spent.

I woulld say its a pretty good example, there's another one that i can't think of at the minute but my work was all talking about it that monday morning.

T

TomB

TomB

Could this possibly be the effects of snorting, injecting or otherwise abusing Dairy Milk I wonder???
The strangest mental image came to mind when I read this sentence!!

Dairy Milk Junkies with chocolate all over their noses, very strange!!

The strangest mental image came to mind when I read this sentence!!

Dairy Milk Junkies with chocolate all over their noses, very strange!!
Oh they're just the tip of the (dancing) iceberg.....

The ones that 'do flake' are the serious threat to society....:eek:

TomB

TomB

yeah i guess they are,

then there's the smarty addicts as well, oh they get real nasty when there's no blue one's left!!! :D

Has it though? Is that all advertising's about?

Personally I thinks it's an appalling piece of work... seriously! I'm honestly struggling to understand what either the client or the agency that produced it were thinking...

If you think of advertising that is "off the wall" or abstract it still follows some fairly strict rules. The old B&H ads for instance where you would get apparently odd juxtapositions of the brand against other unrelated items were actually quite well thought out....

The images were funny... Thought provoking.... Disturbing... Sentimental

In every case they were about associating the brand with ideas. In many respects the ads became works of art. And the advertisers were seen as sponsoring something sophisticated, something cutting edge. Which in turn connected with all the 'traditional' associations that had previously been made with cigarette smoking.

If you analyse any of these adverts you'll find a story; sometimes deeply hidden. But a definite story all the same.. And one that can be tied in quite firmly with the 'concepts' that the advertiser is trying to promote...

In terms of narrative flow it needed some people... The opening scene needed baggage handlers. Real people.. Tired, hardworking workaday but with just that little 'slick' edge... A twist of the throttle, flick of the gear lever.... And when the last plane's gone the HiViz jackets get thrown in the corner and the 'Stig' outfits come out the locker...

Alternatively they could have opened up with the vehicles being 'personified' a' la "Cars" the Dysney thing a few years back... Some shots of them at work perhaps with exhaust tones for growls and some CGFX to make the grilles and headlights into faces.. Make them into cute characters....

Something to set the tone for the race.... And the reward at the end.. to the victor the spoils.. the glass and a half etc etc etc...

As it is we have a bunch of random vehicles that nobody can really identify or empathise with. They don't look real. They don't look cute. Have no 'personality'. It's not particularly well shot as the photography isn't consistent...... The models themselves look like cheap toys.. Why are they racing? Actually ARE they racing? And what concept does it connect the brand to?

Frankly, if a first year HN student turned this in to me they'd get it back suggesting that it needed further development; it wasn't quite 'there'. One can only assume the executives who commissioned it weren't all there either...:D

nothing does

nothing does

The brief was to bring Cadbury's chocolate to a younger audience. I think the Gorilla advert was spot on, it gave the brand a witty edge that didn't take its self too seriously and played on the pleasure of doing something you love and with passion, what eating their chocolate is supposed to do.

However....

The new one is PANTS, no humor and whilst the first one used the music in an almost tounge in cheek way this one just used a overblown rock anthem for the sake of it.

Bring back the gorilla

The brief was to bring Cadbury's chocolate to a younger audience.
AH! THAT explains it!!! :D

They've obviously given the commission to my Uncle Chou who's went straight to his shed and got out the remaining crate of 'happy boy' 1970's Hong Kong Die-casts!...

I'm surprised he didn't slip in a static slide at the end advertising The Mayflower Chinese Take-Away.... :D

Deep flied creme egg anyone???