By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Madness or bravery....

A

AstroHost

Morning guys!

My name is Richard, I live in the South West & just started my business.

I had all my plans prior to COVID-19 and after much deliberation, on my side I decided to push ahead.

Nice to "meet" you all and I looking forward to becoming a continuous member.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Richard, Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself.

Covid has certainly put alot of peoples plans into a spin, on the flip side I think its also starting to make people realise of the possibilies available online and the benefits of some business models.

What's your business about ?

A

AstroHost

Thanks so
Welcome to the forum Richard, Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself.

Covid has certainly put alot of peoples plans into a spin, on the flip side I think its also starting to make people realise of the possibilies available online and the benefits of some business models.

What's your business about ?
Thanks so much! I was already committed, so decided to push on.

My business, is web hosting, servers, domains etc.

selfemployed

selfemployed

Verified Member
You have to wonder where we would be without the internet - a terrible terrible situation would be a million miles worse.

What kind of plans have you put in place @AstroHost ?

A

AstroHost

Indeed, no websites for most, would mean no businesses etc

In terms of plans, I have the usual stuff in place. However, as i'm wfh all the time i've made extra use of additional monitoring

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck with the business Richard, It's a similar niche to what I'm in ( as an additional Serivce ) and I agree its worth the risk as its one area which possibly won't be affected.

Depending on your business model it can be quite rewarding. I personally opted for the higher priced, more personal serivce where I don't need many customers to make it viable, over the shared/reseller market where you'd need qauntity of sales more than anything.

A

AstroHost

Hey Adam,

Thanks for that! I opted for a little higher than the likes of other hosters in the market but not the most expensive.

E

Employer

Verified Member
From the outside looking in, in times of trouble those towards the higer end of the market can drop their prices a little to get through the difficult times. Those at the bottom are already working on wafer thin margins with nowhere to go.

A

AstroHost

Correct, this was one of my trains of thoughts too. Plus I don't want to be in the bottom end of the market

selfemployed

selfemployed

Verified Member
Reputation counts for nothing at the bottom end as you are not seen to value it - at the top end it is a whole different ball game. I would plough on as many more businesses will realise they need a real online presence after the coronavirus issue is under control. What would we have done without the net over the last few weeks?

Needhelp

Needhelp

Verified Member
I wonder if we will see a move towards more working from home in light of Covid-19? This will surely help the web hosting business arena :)