By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Long summer evenings

Boxby

I know they're lovely, but when trying to pursuade young kids at 10.30 that yes, it really is bed time, they can be a bit of a pain. And i'm only a wee southerner, compared to some of you on here.

So, please tell me, how long til the longest day??:crying:

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

From memory Sandra I think it's June 21st for the longest and December 21st for the shortest.

We're lucky that our youngest is still less than two so doesn't really know much about light and dark. The oldest who's just turned 4 though is very wise to it and on an almost nightly basis plays up because "she only goes to bed when it's dark!" :(

"she only goes to bed when it's dark!" :(
Yup! mine tried that one too.. I bought some blackout blinds and pointed out that in her bedroom it WAS dark! So unless she wanted to sleep outside with the cows and the bats the scary hooty-owls....

She's 12 now and is still well asleep by 10:30...

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxby

We have black out blinds, and lined curtains, but the thing is my kids seem to be ruled by the sun, they wake up with it and go to sleep with it. In the winter you cannae get them out of bed, and in the summer, you cannae get them in it. It's just this last month before the schools break up.

The other big question, why do kids always want to lie on during the week, but get up at 6am at the weekends ??

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

From memory Sandra I think it's June 21st for the longest and December 21st for the shortest.

We're lucky that our youngest is still less than two so doesn't really know much about light and dark. The oldest who's just turned 4 though is very wise to it and on an almost nightly basis plays up because "she only goes to bed when it's dark!" :(
I am sure you can pick up some Class A drugs if necessary!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dizzydiza

These days I'm in bed before my children! At 18, 18 and 20 and half they are still my babies but trying to convince of that is not easy. I still get the Kevin and Perry attitude especially from the boys!

Canary Dwarf

Canary Dwarf

The other big question, why do kids always want to lie on during the week, but get up at 6am at the weekends ??
Hmmm, yes I've never really worked that one out either.

Gordon N

Gordon N

I wish I had that problem, if my three aren't up and bugging me by 5.30/6am EVERYDAY it's a miracle! :sad:

Gutsy

Gutsy

I've often wondered about this - here in SA the sun sets at about 6pm in winter, and 7pm in summer. Is it easy to go to sleep with the sun shining at 10pm at night? :) Was watching SA vs England at cricket yesterday and was fascinated that the sun was up that late.

Boxby

I always find it a wee bit weird when you go on holiday, and you have the hot sunny days and then it gets dark at 6.30pm.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Last night I looked out the window and said to myself, "Ah, the days are drawing in. 10.30 p.m. and it's already getting dark."

jimbairn

jimbairn

I've noticed that some local hotels are already advertising their Festive menus on the radio.

Boxby

The aftershave/perfume adverts have started on the telly! That is officially the start of the Christmas advertising. I am away to hide in a cupboard until 23rd Dec.

Gutsy

Gutsy

We have been watching Wimbledon, and my sons just can't believe that it's light there at 9pm. They keep asking me if I'm sure that's what the time is :).

abs

abs

It sure is the right time Gaynor. In fact up here in Scotland at this time of year it doesn't get completely dark at all.

When we've been to South Africa (which we adore) we've always been surprised at how quickly and early it gets dark.

Theresia