By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Local Training Courses?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

There are lots and lots of courses that you can get for free through various other businesses, if you know where to look. But which have you made the most of?

I've got my basic food hygiene course, first aid, leadership, mentoring, IT and communication.. most of which aren't particularly relevant to my business, but as a personal thing I am happy that I did them! I think it's always a good idea to get certificates like this, as you never know when you're going to want them in the future :).

P

Pete Brindle

I went on a team leader course when I was unemployed, which was free from the Job Centre. It was helpful, and also filled the day - which is important when you're not working at the moment.

A friend of mine (although from England) was able to take his GCSE maths and English exams for free through a local college as well, so it might be worth seeing if you can get any similar qualifications.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I went on a team leader course when I was unemployed, which was free from the Job Centre. It was helpful, and also filled the day - which is important when you're not working at the moment.

A friend of mine (although from England) was able to take his GCSE maths and English exams for free through a local college as well, so it might be worth seeing if you can get any similar qualifications.

My partner did the English and Maths and I still strongly believe that he wouldn't have the job that he's in now if he didn't take the time to do those courses.

P

Pete Brindle

My partner did the English and Maths and I still strongly believe that he wouldn't have the job that he's in now if he didn't take the time to do those courses.

A lot of jobs have it as a basic requirement now to have English and Maths qualifications, and that's a crucial reason that a lot of older people struggle to change career - because the qualifications that they need just weren't available when they were first training.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

A lot of jobs have it as a basic requirement now to have English and Maths qualifications, and that's a crucial reason that a lot of older people struggle to change career - because the qualifications that they need just weren't available when they were first training.

This is true. When I went to university I had a few friends who struggled to get in because they were older, and they had to go on access courses before they were able to sign up properly.