By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Lease agreement

R

Russell

Hi,

Hopefully someone can offer some advice please.

I have been renting a small industrial unit for around 10 years, the previous landlord sold the units around 5 years ago.

I am on a month by month contract (although i don't actually have a written contract)

The new letting agent is asking me to sign a 3 year lease, i am not happy with this lease and due to the current climate i really don't want to commit myself.

I have emailed the agent and expressed my concern but they have failed to reply.

My question is: where do i stand if i don't sign the lease agreement, can they ask me to leave and if so how much notice would they need to give me?

I am a good tenant and have never missed a payment.

Any advice would be gratefully received
Thanks
Russ

any

L

lookingforadvice

Verified Member
Firstly, how would they expect to replace you in the current environment? Secondly, I would assume if your contract is month by month (even though you don't have a signed contract) then they would only need to give you a months notice?

Now might be the time to negotiate a reduced rental arrangement in light of the coronavirus with, if possible, get out clauses and options to withdraw say on an annual basis. I don't expect the landlord to agree to this but I would certainly ask.

R

Russell

Firstly, how would they expect to replace you in the current environment? Secondly, I would assume if your contract is month by month (even though you don't have a signed contract) then they would only need to give you a months notice?

Now might be the time to negotiate a reduced rental arrangement in light of the coronavirus with, if possible, get out clauses and options to withdraw say on an annual basis. I don't expect the landlord to agree to this but I would certainly ask.
Thanks for the reply,

I have thought the same regarding finding a new tenant, some of the other tenants have asked for a rent reduction, nothing happening on that front. I will wait until they chase me up about signing the new lease and keep a lookout for a different unit

L

lookingforadvice

Verified Member
As bad as this sounds, you are in the driving seat at the moment because I very much doubt your landlord will find anybody at short notice and even if they did, would they be as dependable as you have been? Can we ask what your business is?

R

Russell

As bad as this sounds, you are in the driving seat at the moment because I very much doubt your landlord will find anybody at short notice and even if they did, would they be as dependable as you have been? Can we ask what your business is?
Without going in to detail, I'm if a food business. You are probably right in what you say, I will stretch it out for the time being

L

lookingforadvice

Verified Member
You are obviously a talented business person keeping your food business going in the current environment so don't undersell yourself. I would tentatively ask the landlord if they are ready to negotiate as this will give you a degree of certainty in the short to medium-term. What if they turned around tomorrow and said, although highly unlikely, we have a new tenant and they have signed up, you have a months notice. Just try and weigh things up from your point of view and do what you need to do.