By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Learning Opportunities

Hope no-one minds this wee bit of promotional activity.....

A quick heads up to alert anyone who's interested in studying Music Management, Music production or indeed TV production (with a particular slant on music video) that Stow College's Creative Industries Department is opening it's books to new students.

Courses are almost-always heavily over subscribed in all these fields, and often people are put off by that. However there may be opportunities if you go straight to the people that matter, i.e. the course leaders.

If you're interested in studying any of these subjects contact the college on 0141 332 1786 and ask for the creative industries department. Ideally you should talk to David Hughes, our head of department. Please mention my name as refering you; that should ensure you get a fair kick at the ball so to speak.

Anyone interested in the TV course can of course contact me directly, either through the college or my own office.

frockery

frockery

Interesting you should mention going straight to the course leaders as many young people, especially those who don't have a conventional educational background, get bounced back by course administrators who only understand bits of paper like Highers.

Do you mind if I pass this info on to some of the young people in our network who may be interested in music and TV production, Matt?

Interesting you should mention going straight to the course leaders as many young people, especially those who don't have a conventional educational background, get bounced back by course administrators who only understand bits of paper like Highers.

Do you mind if I pass this info on to some of the young people in our network who may be interested in music and TV production, Matt?
I'd be absolutely delighted if you would; thank you. Be sure to give them my name; if they have been referred directly to the department it means we can bring them straight to the application process and double-check that they get full attention.

Like the students we too find ourselves frustrated by the 'administration machine'. We're lucky at Stow in that our Student Services people really are excellent, and not at all blinkered. In fact most other colleges in Scotland could learn from our approach. (and I say that with all due modesty :D )

However we often find that careers guidance staff outside the college ARE; and they're part of the issue.... Not their fault of course; but what works for recruiting business studies and mathematics students isn't necessarily the best way to ferret out tomorrow's creative genius...

With creative courses it's often more about what the student can bring in terms of raw talent than anything that can be readily measured. From that point of view I personally am perfectly happy to sit through a 1/2 hour of some kid's showreel and wade through a mountain of scripts they have written.... If they have a strong academic track record so much the better; if not, and they have talent... We'll find a way to deal with that.

Of course for some things there are certain standards that have to be met before we can move them forward; and we have a range of courses from NQ level to HND and beyond. Many of our courses articulate onto the third year of a degree course; so in themselves become a slightly 'unconventional' route to academic achievement...

I've seen many a student enter Stow with no hope, no qualifications, no direction, just a vague notion of where they want to get to...A couple of years later they emerge and confident young professionals ready to make their way in the world... It's what makes being a lecturer worthwhile!

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking