By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Keep Account Back Ups!!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'm posting this after hearing some rather disturbing news from a friend of mine who is a self employed music teacher.

He used to keep paper receipts from his students - and two days ago he had a fire at his home and several years worth of receipts were destroyed. He had no back up to these.

So please please PLEASE make sure you back up somehow! All of my invoices are issued via email so I have a record of these anyway - but there are SO many people who don't bother! Scan them onto your computer, store them on there AND somewhere remotely, but please don't leave it to chance!

P

Pete Brindle

What is it about us music teachers that makes us so forgetful?? I always think to myself that I HAVE to make my backups but it takes me a while to get round to it. So if something were to happen I would probably lose at least a month's worth of paperwork. I MUST get into a better routine than this. How do you get into the habit of doing it and not putting it off??

B

Branded Merchandise

That's a shame for your friend

I've never downloaded it but I'm sure there are apps where you can take a picture of your receipt and it files it onto the app. Might be a quick and easy way of doing it!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

That's a shame for your friend

I've never downloaded it but I'm sure there are apps where you can take a picture of your receipt and it files it onto the app. Might be a quick and easy way of doing it!
That sounds really easy. I don't suppose you can remember the name of the app by any chance, can you?

B

Branded Merchandise

Receipts by Wave is also meant to be quite good. I've never used it so can't recommend it personally.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'm not sure whether you're able to take photos of things or not, but this is a good app.

http://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/

For personal finance as well as business, and it gets you into the habit of recording everything that comes in and goes out, which is great.
Thanks again for a great link! You're a mine of knowledge! That looks good, I should be able to keep track of my hundreds of bank accounts at least!!

P

Pete Brindle

Thanks again for a great link! You're a mine of knowledge! That looks good, I should be able to keep track of my hundreds of bank accounts at least!!
Not sure about a mine of knowledge, lol, but I'm happy enough to share the knowledge that I have whenever I can!

L

Lauren Turner

I'd never even thought about backing up my accounts. So glad I came to this forum. Some of my husband's accounts are sometimes in our home as well if he's been working on them out of hours and I have no idea whether he has other copies, so I will mention it to him. I would be in such a mess if everything was lost, as I certainly don't have any way to back track things because I deal with customers cash in hand.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'd never even thought about backing up my accounts. So glad I came to this forum. Some of my husband's accounts are sometimes in our home as well if he's been working on them out of hours and I have no idea whether he has other copies, so I will mention it to him. I would be in such a mess if everything was lost, as I certainly don't have any way to back track things because I deal with customers cash in hand.
There are ways and means to try and work things out if something happens, but it is a lot easier if you back up. Preferably electronic, so scan everything in and keep it on your PC and then on some kind of storage that you could access from other places if anything happened to your computer. I don't know how much paper you have with your accounts, but if you're anything like me it isn't enough for it to feel as though you couldn't cope with that amount of scanning.