By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Joost v VeohTV

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I'm a great fan of internet TV and have used both. I personally prefer VeohTV for it's simplicity, but I have been reading the Joost seems a little more popular.

What do the other use?

Gordon
PLC

TomB

TomB

I honeslty can't say I've every used internet TV before.

So what channels do you get? Does it cost?

T

I'm afraid my interest in either ended when I read the words "Download Joost" and "Download VeohTV" on their respective web pages...

And things like.....

Veoh privacy policy:

Privacy Policy | Veoh Video Network

Excerpt:

We may collect personally identifiable information from you when you seek access to certain portions of the Veoh Service, publish or download content, and/or register for our services. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, physical and e-mail addresses, phone and/or fax numbers, Internet address, type of computer and credit card or other payment information, as well as your preferences and usage patterns.

And THEN there was.....

2. Permission from You for Joost™ Software to Deliver Advertising and Use Your Computer and Bandwidth to Provide Content to You and other users of Joost™ Software and to Manage the Network of Computers Running Joost™ Software

But if you're determined try......

Download VeohTV | Veoh Video Network

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

They are both, what they are described....

With lots of TV channels and downloads you can make. Everything from News, comedy, entertainment....factual...whatever you can think off.

Even old TV programmes or full movies you may be looking for.

I use them to download/watch training video for business topics, or seminars that I want to watch.

Also on a more personal basis, you can watch instantly or download movies you may be looking for....I love old movie and found "Them" and It's a Wonderful Life" and watched them both recently.

But most for business TV channels I enjoy.

Joost - Free online TV - Comedy, cartoons, sports, music and more - Download today
Online videos: From home videos to premium internet television content | Veoh Video Network

Check them out, both FREE to download and use.

Regards

Gordon
PLC

They are both, what they are described....
Check them out, both FREE to download and use.
Well actually... No they're not.

They're certainly NOT free as you're paying for the service by explicitly agreeing to give them relatively free reign over much of your personal data. Indeed that line that reads "This information may include, but is not limited to" is really quite sinister....

What's more you are supplying them with both bandwidth and computing power for which you are paying... So, Free? Absolutely not.

The privacy policies of both (and indeed other similar) services are VERY concerning.... To the point where I would consider such services disreputable. We actually place a clause in the copyright release for all our material that bars it from being placed on a service or system which requires the viewer to use P2P or proprietary viewing software peculiar to that system.

To achieve what these systems achieve there is no need for the services to use anything other than common universal players; save for the fact they want control over your computer and to spy on your viewing (and possibly other) activities. 'Useful' and 'fun' they may well appear to be. But here really IS no such thing as a free lunch. And it's that fun-factor that seems to be the hook for something which is, in my view, potentially quite dangerous the reality is that allowing unknown users to have access to your computer is very dangerous. And THAT'S exactly what you're doing with both of these services...

My view is that you shouldn't use any file-sharing program that installs additional files onto your machine. Many services come bundled with spyware and adware programs that can cause irreparable harm to your machine.

If you must get embroiled turn off any file-sharing application if you're not using it. This can be harder than it sounds, as many programs will continue to run in the background even if you've exited them.. And can actually be impossible to turn off without removing them from your machine (again something that's not always as easy as you'd hope....

IPTV is a great concept...... But to make it work there's no need for people to be 'railroaded' into downloading potentially harmful software or giving open access to their private information.

frockery

frockery

Thanks for pointing all that out, Matt. The 'privacy' policies are certainly worrying and enough for me to go and get my bargepole out! :eek:

Mind you, it's not exactly reassuring to know that our confidential personal details are already in the hands of people who might at any time leave it on a train or lose it in the post. :(

S

ScottJ

They rely on torrent type of technology to serve channels without buffering problems, I have played with Joost since early last year and the technology has come on leaps and bounds, like BBC iplayer if you leave it running it will eat your bandwidth so anyone on a fixed usage should be wary.

Joost comes form the makers of Skype if I am not mistaken.

There's really no getting away from the fact that video requires an awful lot of bandwidth to stream effectively. My issue isn't so much with the 'workaround' but with the agenda behind it. And even for those on 'unlimited' packages there is a strong potential for fall foul of 'fair usage' policies... AS WELL as the risks to your machine's security and that of your personal data.

The other thing is that the picture quality is, quite frankly, crap! Now, historically it IS the case that most viewers are happy to sit and watch a sub-standard picture. Witness the many owners of blu-ray players who hook their new toy up to the TV using a Scart lead...

But you haven't SEEN a movie if you've sat and watched it on one of these systems... You've seen its shadow.... Even movies made way back in the 1930s, 40's and 50's are BADLY degraded by being 'telecined' to standard definition TV. Reduced to this level verges on the criminal...

The same applies to most TV programmes.... It's very early days for IPTV and there's now't to get particularly excited about yet. Even with iplayer, which is among the best of these systems the picture falls WAY short of what you'd expect from DTT; and that's not brilliant...

IPTV will come of age when 20Meg connections to the home become the norm and systems for displaying the material on 'proper' TV displays become more common and user-friendly..... But at the moment this is a novelty, and a potentially dangerous one at that... These are shark-infested waters.

iplayer is useful; no doubt about that. And other credible systems WILL emergeBut where some of these 'spurious' systems are concerned I'd stay WELL clear; novelty or not.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Gosh Matt,

Now I feel bad!!! :(

I appreciate your comments...I am probably the most non techy person around...and I just get a lot out of VEOH tv. Lots of training videos that I need for my other business.

I do tend, as I think most people are, to keep a close eye on my personal data...and I tend more to watch things on the VEOH more than download.

Take care

Gordon
PLC

Gosh Matt,

Now I feel bad!!! :(

I appreciate your comments...I am probably the most non techy person around...and I just get a lot out of VEOH tv. Lots of training videos that I need for my other business.

I do tend, as I think most people are, to keep a close eye on my personal data...and I tend more to watch things on the VEOH more than download.

Take care

Gordon
PLC
You shouldn't feel bad Gordon; just forearmed! Like most who use these 'services' you weren't to know!

With the exception of the amateurish home-made stuff ALL this programme material costs money to make; often fairly substantial amounts of money at that... Nobody is going to give it away without an ulterior motive.

Now that's fine as far as legitimate promotional material is concerned. After all part of its purpose is to be given away. But when it comes to entertainment titles, training material or anything with 'worth' it has to be realised that somewhere along the line that material has to be paid for... That is of course assuming that someone's intellectual property rights aren't being violated and the material isn't stolen.

There being no such thing as a free lunch supposedly 'free' services should really always ring alarm bells and be subject to close scrutiny.