By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Is your websites search listings being hurt by its content?

Kevin

Hello Everyone,

On the Moovin' On Up website we have just launched a new SEO blog dedicated too all things SEO! It already has a number of posts containing news stories and articles about cutting edge search engine optimisation topics.

Yesterday we posted an article about Duplicate Content. Its a phrase often used by SEO companies, it basically means multiple pages on your website containing the same information. Problems arising from this (it effects on your search rankings),and some solutions are contained in our blog:

What Is Duplicate Content, And What Does It Mean For My Website? | MOU Blog

Any comments are appreciated :)

Thanks.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Really good post Kevin :)

Does the same apply if you use content from another persons site (with their permission of course)? Is it still viewed the same way?

I guess that then brings us on to the syndication of content also. Does every piece you choose to syndicate need to be both unique and not on your own site?

Kevin

Really good post Kevin :)

Does the same apply if you use content from another persons site (with their permission of course)? Is it still viewed the same way?

I guess that then brings us on to the syndication of content also. Does every piece you choose to syndicate need to be both unique and not on your own site?
Hi , Yes I’m afraid this will also be considered as duplicate content. If you are going to syndicate your content make sure you insert a link to the original article. This will help the search engine, in particular Google which is the original content.

Internally you can use the canonical link relevant tag to tell Google which of your pages are to be considered the original content. Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment across domains. However Google is working to resolve this issue sometime next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. It's an interesting subject.

I've occasionally swapped content with other webiste operatores. I let them have one my articles for them to publish on their site, and they reciprocate in kind. I've taken the view that, while the main body of the page might be the same, the pages won't appear to be duplicates because they'll each have their own headers and footers, menus, and similar paraphernalia.

From what you say in your article, that might not be a valid assumption. Is that right?

By the way, I was curious to your reference to the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act". Isn't that an American act? Is your article addressed to a US audience? (I'm only asking out of curiosity.)

Mike

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking