By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Is UK wide Wi-fi possible?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hey,

You see articles in the news everyday of wi-fi being added on trains, planes, ferries even McDonalds! Now I find wi-fi really useful but admit the security aspect concerns me.

However, my question is will it ever get to a stage where wi-fi is available UK wide similar to a mobile phone. OK you could argue it's already with us to some extent by using these usb dongle things but could it eventually become commoditised to the extend that everyone will expect it to be free?

:)

stugster

stugster

I think over the next 6 to 12 months, USB dongle prices are going to come down so much that they'll almost become 'the norm'. I've not succumbed to them yet purely on the basis that the Fair Use policies don't tend to give you a lot of bandwidth yet.

The capabilities are out there, and the technology is still not being pushed to its capacity. So who knows what'll happen soon? :D

The WiFi technology (as opposed to the 3G technology) is already set up in some countries for testing purposes. Have a look at it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I actually have one of these dongles and it's the bain of my life! You've got about as much chance of getting a connection as Scotland winning the world cup! (Sorry Scotland :p).

I think before pushing the technology to it's capacity they should work on providing connection that are stable. Take note mobile phone companies! :)