By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Is it just me?

abs

abs

Do you think I'm being too fussy when it comes to correct spelling? What is the preoccupation with inserting an apostrophe in the plural of a word? I'm seeing it in newspapers, signs, menus etc. Or maybe I should be writing newspaper's, sign's, menu's. I've even seen the plural of company as being company's instead of companies! Has our language been changed and I wasn't told about it?
:huh:

Theresia

Ariotek

Ariotek

I think it depends on the situation.

If its just idle text chat for example I don't think it matters all that much. I tend to speak to a lot of people during the day via support tickets or live chat software and to me the spelling/grammar is irrelevant as long as the message is clear and understandable.

I don't think there is any excuse for bad grammar or spelling on official publications though. Newspapers, menus, signs etc have no excuses for it.

Personally my grammar and spelling is pretty poor :blushing:

abs

abs

I know it's not important if you're just sending off a quick email etc.(and we all make mistakes) but I do cringe when a presentation is made to 30+ people and there are spelling and punctuation mistakes.

Theresia

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Personally, I find it really annoying too. There's a baker's van that goes around the Leith area with Roll's and Cake's plastered on the side. If I've noticed it, surely many others have too!

R

Red Doe

I`m a spelling nazi, so my family tells me :D Hate seeing things like "there" and "their" being mixed up. To be honest, I think a good standard of literacy is vanishing now, as I even see previously highly regarded outfits like the BBC making stupidly childish spelling and grammar mistakes on their websites and in things like subtitles to news programmes.
I read a sci fi story once (might have been John Wyndham, can`t remember now) about Time travel tourism. One of the tourists steps off the designated walkway, accidentally crushes a butterfly and returns to his own time to find all the signposts written in something akin to modern text speak! :D
Maybe somebody stood on a butterfly somewhere. ;)
I`m known for making mistakes myself plenty of times, though, and appreciate others can too, especially if they are rushing. But in official publications, newspapers and magazines and even books (seen some dreadful mistakes in many) there`s no excuse, I believe. :)

Aillum

Aillum

Am I the only one who hesitated about posting a reply, just incase I made a mistook?:001_unsure:

I think good grammar / spelling is important. I make mistakes from time to time (I had an error pointed out to me in my very first post on SBF),but I do at least read over what I've written before posting. For a quick forum post, or quick email I might review once or twice. For more official communication I'd review three or four times. So at least the effort is there to remove error.

I sometimes think, when reading other obvious mistakes, it's not that the person writing has bad grammer or poor spelling, it's that they've simply been lazy in reviewing what they've written.