By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Is government support a help or hindrance?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Here's a really interesting article from the IOD website director.co.uk. It's people giving opinions on whether the government should provide support to small business or step out of the way. Some really interesting points in this.

Government support: help or hindrance? | Entrepreneurs

What do you think does this make sense or does the givernment have a roll to play?

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

This is an interesting point, .

I don't know much about the East London project, but I do have views on the general concept of government subsidy to businesses. I've never dared say this in the forum before for fear of being branded a heretic and threatened with being tarred and feather, but what the heck ....

This isn't a political point. I definitely don't have right-wing views, but I do feel that it's a mistake to have too much government assistance to businesses (small, medium or whatever size). Businesses should stand or fall on their own merits. Subsidies should not be a substitute for efficiency or for the quality of the firm's products or services.

If government assistance was substantially reduced, many firms would go bust, and many others would never get started. But the ones that survive and flourish would be the efficient ones - the ones that offer the right product at the right price, that can attract and retain skilled staff, and so on. The result would be that business in general would be more efficient, to the benefit of all.

OK, I'll leave it at that for now, and take cover while the onslaught begins.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventurelife

Adventurelife

I am all for government being small to the extent of only being 20-25% max of the economy which would mean only doing the essential things , so as far as supporting businesses I have to say I would prefer just get out the way and stop making it complicated and if we every get this mess sorted get us to a low tax economy and watch business react and fly.

EmployEasily Legal Services

If the current government wants to really help SMEs, it should give the banks a massive kick up their collective arses and force them to start lending money again.