By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

In or on the business....?

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Running a small business means wearing several hats.

Do you feel sometimes that you are too much in the business (doing pratically everything) or have you got a plan that allows you to work on the business.

Regards

Gordon
PLC

D

davidc

I have always found that delegation is crucial for me. Unfortunately that is not always easy as it means relying on other people. I have found that my businesses were only as strong as the weakest links, so I have always tried to get the best people I could. Not always easy, but absolutely essential in order to remain focused on where I take each business.

Gordon N

Gordon N

Gordon, have you been reading any books by SitePoint recently?? It's just that's the same terminology that the author of a book I just finished using! Spooky...

In the book he emphasised the importance of working 'on' not 'in' your business. For a one man show like mine though I believe it is not strictly possible, you have to do both.

Regards,

Gordon (the other one!)

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Gordon, have you been reading any books by SitePoint recently?? It's just that's the same terminology that the author of a book I just finished using! Spooky...

In the book he emphasised the importance of working 'on' not 'in' your business. For a one man show like mine though I believe it is not strictly possible, you have to do both.

Regards,

Gordon (the other one!)
Hi Gordon, Gordon here....

I don't know Site Point...but a few years ago when I was struggling to keep my other business in track I brought on a consultant (and good pal) from a organisation called Icon Business Solutions. And the phrase came from there.

I partly agree with on the point about having to do both...however what I have done (and more with the PLC rather than Simplicity, my other business) is develop an actual model and began to implement some of the major strategies to drive my business forward. For expample, did you see that we are starting to have speakers at PLC events....that is one of the "services" I have identified in my model....there are lots more to come.

So I keep refering back to my model and remind myself of what I have to do to push the PLC forward.

I was reminded of a wonderful quote, which I have found quite apt for being in business....and making mistakes along the way....it goes like this...

"I have learnt so much from my mistakes, that I have decided to make some more!"

Speak to you soon, kind regards

Gordon
PLC

Boxby

Sometimes the phone rings, and I can't remember what business name to answer it in................I think I have too many hats!!:(

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking