By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Important UK News - per the BBC

Boxby

OK

News bias towards English news in the UK National news, and BBC etc is an old chestnut. However I feel that today's BBC news webpage is a classic;
BBC NEWS | News Front Page

Big news;
New Pink Ball debuts in English Cricket

Hidden in "regional news"
Refinery dispute goes to ACAS.

If the refinery being shut down on Sunday was Fawley, and it was the South of England that was being exposed to the potential of a month without fuel, do you think that the news story would be burried down in BBC South's regional news?

Discuss!!

What's to discuss? ;)

The EBC really doesn't know or care much for life outside the South-East. Never has, never will. And, as state broadcaster, it reflects well the mindset at Westminster...

Trees are green, sky is blue and the EBC thinks pink cricket balls are a higher priority than a huge great swathe of the country being driven to an economic standstill. These are the facts of life my friends, these are the facts of life....

Brian McIntosh

There was also a report on the BBC news this morning about the race to be Mayor of London and "the impact it will have on your life no matter where in the country you live". WHY??

TomB

TomB

exactly how on earth will that effect us in Scotland?

honestly. the BBC sometimes I wonder if they are worth the paper our TV licences are printing on.

you'd think in this day and age they could actualy report the news.

I remember when they dedicated a whole news programme to Prince harry being pulled from Iraq, and i thought, you know who really gives a flying monkey about that. There are far more important thigns in the world than that, or is that just me???? :D

T

Brian McIntosh

I didn't catch the whole report but I think they were saying that whatever happens in London, i.e. the congestion charge, will be adopted in every city in the country.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

When did Forfar become a city then? Just be like me to make that sweeping statement and then someone come along and correct me :p

Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink

I posted on a forum earlier today about panic buying that was happening at a Dundee Tesco. Practically every post made after my original post from english people thought it was becuase the cost of petrol was going up!!

When i told them the real reason none of them had heard a thing about the potential closure!!

Adjusts ratecard to reflect Forfar Surcharge.... Two trays of Bridies and a crate of Strathmore spring watter :D

Naebody's tell't the English... I've not seen it mentioned on the 'national' news at all....

Boxby

Bring on the Pink Cricket Balls!!!
Now that's worthy of the BBC's attention.

Congestion charge in Girvan, now that I would love to see! It would make all of

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I recall a few years back this congestion charge question being booted out in Edinburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if this was being reignited on the back of all the local councils agreeing to freeze council tax for the next fiscal year. The councils will be looking at other ways to generate revenue I guess.

I'm also pretty sure one of the pledges of the SNP was to try an secure some control of the BBC for Scotland, I dont confess to know too much about it but i'm certain it's there.

TomB

TomB

yeah but lets not forget how the council are paying us back in Edinburgh for not voting yes to their scheme.

years of roadworks!!!

As far as teh council tax goes i think they are just trying to soften us up as they have something nasty up their sleeves.

i was watching the news this morning and between the doom and gloom there was two mintes devoted to the rising petrol prices, food prices and energy prices.

Honestly is it just me or does anybody else feel like this country is really going down the pan.

To put it mildly, i have more faith in a bar of chocolate (dairy milk of course :D) than i do in that lot to solve these problems.

And I certainly don't think that pumping the banks full of money to get them to lower rates is going to solve anything.

I mean all these companies have profits in the millions and millions, look at Centrica

Brian McIntosh

What the hell are all the roadworks about in Edinburgh. I was down on Saturday to see an exhibition and had to go to Leith in the afternoon. Bad idea!! I think they should bring back trams.

TomB

TomB

i take it thats a joke :D

we've got to face those roadworks until august then we get a months break for the festival and then all the roads get dug back up again.

Who said living in Edinburgh wasn't fun!! :D

Brian McIntosh

:D:D:D

Once the trams are up and running will it make any difference to the congestion in Edinburgh? If I'm going into the centre of Edinburgh, I usually park down in Leith and get a bus, althought the only thing that's easier is parking. I've still to get to Leith which adds to the congestion. I think the public transport in Edinburgh is better than some places I've been in, and cheaper too.

TomB

TomB

Once the trams are up and running, thats a joke in itself really!!

Its ridiculous, i mean do these realise all the extra pollution these delays and diversions cause, i spend more time sitting in traffic that i do actually driving in edinburgh these days.

I think the buses are really good in Edinburgh. except they've just gone up to

nothing does

nothing does

I agree that the buses in Edinburgh are great. If I have a meeting in town I can jump on a bus at the end of the road and avoid the CRAZY parking charges....oooooh parking costs, there's something else to have a rant about.

yeah but lets not forget how the council are paying us back in Edinburgh for not voting yes to their scheme.

years of roadworks!!!

The sad thing is it REALLY as petty as that....

One effect of Edinburgh's traffic policies is that if I need anything I drive the 37 miles to Glasgow rather than put up with all that crap! I might make it as far in as Makro or to PC world... But basically I can just live without the grief... And another city can get my money!

And bear in mind I'm just outside the City; a few miles from Dalmahoy. If they HAD actually got away with slapping the congestion charge on I'd have also added an Edinburgh surcharge to my ratecard.. And I' m not kidding. I'm close to that point already....

I know a few folk with businesses in the capital who are really struggling because the place has become just so user-unfriendly... It's a damned shame!