By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Import VAT Question

D

david891

Hello everyone,
Apologies if this is the wrong category.

I am importing products for my business from the US. When buying in the UK they are exempt from VAT as zero-rated. What will happen when importing them will I be charged VAT if so do I claim it back?

Cheers

S

Szymon

Verified Member
"Exempt" and "zero-rated" are two different terms.

I assume you are registered for VAT here in UK.

VAT is charged on goods imported from outside the EU at the same rate as if you bought the goods in the UK. VAT-registered businesses can reclaim the VAT as input tax in the same way as VAT is paid on UK purchases. You will also have to pay VAT on any import duty.

If you pay VAT on any goods you import then you can reclaim the VAT. However you'd need the import tax certificate (form C79) to prove you paid the import VAT.

I am sure your accountant should be able to help you with this.