By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

If you want to make bread, then ask a baker...

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

And if you want to make millions, then ask a millionaire!!

A wee thread about seeking business advice...

I am going to start of with my own experiances (and how I came to my senses)...and I hopefully people will add theirs too.

It is an important part of being in business, whether you are self employed or not that you seek advice constantly...in fact it's good practice to be learning all the time (a true sign of being an entrepreneur is someone asking and improving themselves and their businesses).

Before I add my own experiances. What of other....what advice have you sought and who from and did it make a difference to you and your business if you applied it?

Gordon N

Gordon N

I don't think this thread was intended to flame local enterprise agencies, but I asked HIE for assistance for starting up and they were a fat lot of use! They put me on to a very helpful business advisor, who I suppose I should go and see again soon... but when asking about financial assistance or startup grants/loans - nothing. :(

I often think that sites like this, and networking are the best places for advice. The information comes from real people in the real world who are in the same situation as you - perfect!

Regards,

Gordon

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I dont think it's always about making millions of pounds and i'm pretty sure people's aspirations will differ greatly even on this forum.

As far as advice goes I think that can come from various different sources and not just from people who've "made it". I've learned loads (like Gordon mentioned) from being on forums and much of my knowledge if you like comes from making my own mistakes. I also read quite a lot of business books and have around 10 which I actively use on a regular basis.

I remember having a music teacher who admittedly liked a drink ( He used to always thrash me at pool when he was drunk :D) who used to have this saying which at the time never seemed that funny and most people on this site will also have heard. It was "If things dont change, they'll stay the same" and I realised that me as self employed or entrepreneur am the only person that can change my destiny and i'll be the only person to blame if things fail.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I dont think it's always about making millions of pounds and i'm pretty sure people's aspirations will differ greatly even on this forum.
Yes you are right ....it's not about making millions, unless you want to. My point of this thread is about what ever you want to achieve, then seek out advice from those who have been successful in that field.

I have a couple of horror stories, one was advice given to me by someone who had been made bankrupt twice (and he was actually proud of the fact, claiming that it was a learning curve.),he is still not allowed to be a director of a company. His advice nearly cost me thousands of pounds.

The secod one involved someone who claimed to be able to help develop techniques that generate increased sales. The facts are that he is registered unemployed, lives with his mother and drives an old car. Speaks volumes, his business is not getting anywhere.

The point is this, neither of these two could deliver on what they said. Always seek out advice from those who are successful in their field. If someone told me they wanted to set up a forum, I would point them in your direction , you have achieved a fantastic, respected and successful forum. If some asked me about going into media services, I would point them to chat with Matt, again clearly someone who is good and succesful at what he does.

A final point, I now chat with those who have set up great networking groups who delver what they promise and have respect from their clients. Their advice is what has contributed to the success of the Power Lunch Club.

I remember having a music teacher who admittedly liked a drink ( He used to always thrash me at pool when he was drunk :D)
You clearly didn't go to Fettes!!:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The secod one involved someone who claimed to be able to help develop techniques that generate increased sales. The facts are that he is registered unemployed, lives with his mother and drives an old car. Speaks volumes, his business is not getting anywhere.
:D Hey I drive an old car! 25 years old in fact! :D

I used to have a regular client; little old Jewish fellow, ran a (as I thought) wee business which sold household linen and the like around the council estates. Absolutely charming fellow; very down to earth with a wicked sense of humour. He had a few trinkets about him. Nice old Omega on his wrist and drove this nicely turned out SAAB which was about 15 years old. I used to do regular wee bits of stills work for him.

One day he invited me up to Rhu. He and a few of his friends had (quote) "chipped in for a share of a wee boat".....And it was his turn to use it for the weekend. So I drive up, expecting to find maybe a nice wee 30-footer or something... the "boat" was a 78 foot maxi-racer which he and three of his friends kept crewed and running right through the season... Turned out this wee fellow who still lives in his former-council flat on the South Side of Glasgow is worth about £3million and owns a couple of factories which knock out the curtains and household linen he (or rather his team) sell 'round the doors...

I related the tale to my Uncle Chow; himself a bit of a 'geeza' (my gran used to dismiss him as an "auld spiv"). He just smiled wryly, put his hand on on my shoulder and said "son; sometimes letting people underestimate you is the best way of getting them to drop their guard".... :D

Gordon N

Gordon N

What a fantastic story Matt, very nice to see some genuine modesty.

Right, I'm off to trade in my car for something a little older - where can I get 4 star petrol these days!? ;)

Regards,

Gordon

Idea15

Idea15

As some of you have said, it all comes down to what my coach calls "authentic confidence" vs "inauthentic confidence". Inauthentic confidence is bluster, swagger, and sky-high promises. Authentic confidence is just being yourself, believing in your abilities, and trusting in your customers as well to take you at the face value you already have. Inauthentic confidence is everywhere. It's loud, and noisy, and buys a new luxury car every year. Authentic confidence is quiet, runs in the background, and will be there in 10 years time.

Idea15

Idea15

PS and as we say in my house - "if you want a pizza, go to the Italian takeaway, not the Indian takeaway." :)

Yes, but you're not making false claims!! That's the difference Matt
Quite so Gordon, quite so.... And it has to be said that where eccentricity can be an asset to someone in a creative role it might not sit well in other circles.

But then (playing Devil's advocate slightly) the gravitational pull at ground zero is much greater than it is once you gain a little momentum. People sometimes do desperate things to get off the ground. Often quite silly things.

It may well be that he has the germ of a good idea; just not the means to progress it. And given a culture that since (at least) the time when Sachi & Sachi 'sold us a Tory' has depended on spin lies and downright dishonesty to get messages through, it's unsurprising that some imagine the natural way forward is through spin, lies, subterfuge.

Unsurprising but unacceptable. And I suspect unnecessary. The best counter to this is education and in that sense confrontation with the reality of why you walked away might be the best medicine for him

Jeorge Waters

Jeorge Waters

Lol, it is not so easy as you say. Only you and your personal growth let you become whoever you want. If you don't know where the start, you should visit Jobsora UK. There you may choose your way and find your mission in this world