By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

I just won the Spanish Lottery

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

I got a letter in the post this morning. It said I had won £900,000 on El Gordo, the national lottery in Spain.

(As an aside, I think it's marvelous that Spain should have a lottery that gives prizes to people who have never bought a ticket.)

The letter was accompanied by a long form which I was required to fill in. It asked for a lot of personal details, like my date of birth, previous addresses, grandmother's middle name - the usual sort of thing. Fair enough, I suppose. They have to be sure they're sending the money to the right person.

I also had to supply my bank account details. Obviously, they need to know where to send the money.

But then came the snag - and my dreams of riches turned to dust. I saw a note saying that I was required to fax the form to a number in Madrid. That's right: fax it.

How preposterous. Where on earth would anyone find a fax machine these days?

Mike

Maureen Ridley

Maureen Ridley

I'm willing to share our fax if you're willing to split the winnings!

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

You too? I think these people believe we work for El Gullible !

I got mine last week for 575.000 euros. So I thought, after looking through the info required to validate my win that the sum wasn't worth claiming for 2 reasons:

1. I have never done the lottery in question and

2. Spain probably wouldn't cost that much to buy on the 'open market'

Plus I saved myself outlay on a fax machine ..... sometimes being a suspicious scot has it's advantages.

John

jimbairn

jimbairn

I dunno.... I still get the occasional firm trying to send me an unsolicited sales fax - on a number I haven't used for faxes for about fifteen years - usually about three in the morning. Their marketing ideas are as out of date as their databases.

L

laserads.co.uk

Mike

If you manage to find fax , I wouldnt bother as fax services have not been looked at by the EU politicians yet and I think you will find the Uk fax "beeps" wont be understood by the Spanish fax machines , if you convert the form to esparanto before sending you will be OK though as thats a universally understood beep language throughout Europe

Maybe best to jump an easyjet and deliver personally

:blush:

Paul

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Thanks for all of your replies. I must remember to buy you all a drink when the money comes through.

On a more serious note ... It's interesting that this was a letter rather than an email. It suggests it's worthwhile for the perpetrators to spend money on printing and postage, which presumably means that people do fall for this sort of thing. It's disturbing.

But enough of this. I'm off to do my packing. I just had a phone call to say I've been selected for a luxury cruise in the Caribbean.

Mike

dale13QM

dale13QM

Mike Lewis, in such moments, I would only wish you to check everything, just to be 100 % sure, that it's not fake letters, etc.

dale13QM

dale13QM

There are hundreds of different lotteries, where you can spend your money buying tickets, but if we talk about online gambling websites, and lotteries that you can start playing, I would choose this one ( link: https://onepoundlotto.com/lotto-pl ) called Polish Lotto, because I've heard a lot of positive comments and reviews from real players, about fair chances to win.