By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Howdy

Smiths1972

Smiths1972

Verified Member
Hi fellow posters, I'd love to introduce myself.

My name is Craig and I work for Smiths 1972, a small 6 person strong, family ran full service design agency in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

Our history goes back a long way. Starting out back in 72' as a lithographic print business > moving to digital colour printing at the rollout of the technology > making it all look nice with our talented design team that we introduced in the early naughties... we have diversified our services along with the industry needs over the years.

Why is this appropriate? Well I feel our knowledge, experience and craft will help provide useful content for all on this forum and of course, we are eager to learn from others.

So on that note... Hello!

G

Goingitalone

Verified Member
Hi Craig, welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing about your experience and advice in business.

In many ways your business is a perfect example of adapting to the changing market, changing environment and consumer trends. Was diversification a challenging path or did your staff buy in to your ideals at a relatively early stage?

Many people seem to focus on finances but in many cases employees are more important and having them on board can make a break long-term strategies.

Smiths1972

Smiths1972

Verified Member
We are only a small team which allows us to quickly recognise, strategise and adapt to market changes.
Obviously being such a small team, implementation can take a while especially when balancing client work. As an example our brand new website and brand identity has taken us 2 years of creative development, but probably 5 years of refining our initial vision for the business. Most of our staff have been employed for over 10 years, so as you can imagine we are very tight-nit and all share similar personal values. Whilst our core product is Design / Print / Web, if someone were to ask me what our value proposition is, I don't think any of those would feature. We are in the market of 'problem solving' and that approach is what has stood the test of time (so far at least). It means we are constantly learning and understanding our clients wants and needs, challenging them and then coming up with an effective solution to help maximise ROI. As a business i'm proud that we are quick to identify potential problems and are constantly aiming to make efficiencies. But don't get me wrong, it isn't always rosy is the garden and certainly doesn't make us rich :mad:

G

Goingitalone

Verified Member
Very interesting, could you give us an idea of some of the problems you have solved in the past?