By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How To Use Earplugs For Sleeping?

Twinflower

Twinflower

Verified Member
I have problems with sleeping because of my noisy neighbours so I decided to try earplugs. Will they really help me in this case? And how it's better to use them?

versal567

versal567

It depends on the type of earplugs - foam or silicone earplugs.

First, your hands have to be clean and dry for easy and fast insert into the earchannel. Scrunch gently and twist the foam earplug between your fingers. When it become small enough insert in the earchannel as deep as you feel comfortable. Earplugs producers recommend inserting very deep but I never feel comfortable with it.

Silicone earplugs are different. You have to squish it and place over the ear channel without inserting.

RedSky

RedSky

Verified Member
Yes, that's a good choice and they're really helpful in such cases, however I should mention that they can block out noise up to only 39 decibels so if your neighbours are too loud with music for example, the general effect from earplugs can be rather low.
Using them is safe but if you plan to do that regurarly, it's recommended to follow some simple rules which will help to save you from some possible unpleasant side effects. The main of them is pushing ear wax back into your ear, causing a buildup which is the reason for various ear infections, tinnitus and temporary hearing loss.
So your necessary rules will be:
- roll the earplugs only with clean fingers, keep your ears always clean too https://sleepmentor.net/best-earplugs-for-sleeping/
- insert them correctly, just far enough to block sound (pushing them too far causes the risk for irritating the lining of your eardrum)
- don't pull your ear lobe near your head
- find the best type for you (wax, foam or silicone, all of them have their pros and cons)
- don't ignore discomfort (a stuffed up feeling in your ears isn't a good sign at all, in this case it's better to consult with a doc)

Jeorge Waters

Jeorge Waters

Earplugs are one of the safest things that you can use in this situation but it is not always effective. There are a lot of good ways how to sleep without troubles. I have faced a knockout post about it and I am glad to share it with you.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking