By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How much will the postage rises affect your business?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Today sees the increase in a number of postal charges by Royal Mail. To give you some idea a first class stamp will now cost 60p which was previously 46p and a second class stamp will cost 50p instead of the previous price of 36p.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17859782

I know alot has been said about these quite incredible increases but I wonder if it will actually hit businesses that hard. From our perspective we now email most invoices/quotes etc so i'm not sure how much this will impact us directly.

What about other on the forums - Is this bad news for your business?

Wills

Wills

Verified Member
Very little for me now, with all correspondence being electronic and bills via online banking it's only client shipping costs that I incur which is fully recovered. For the occasion need to actually post mail it's still a very small amount to pay for an excellent service considering the actual handling costs involved.

B

Bakersbelief

I sell stuff on ebay as a hobbie and it makes a bit of money on the side of my day job. Most of the items I sell are of the large packet size. The prices now cost a fortune and make buying the items less attractive due to the high postage costs.

I've now switched from using Royal Mail to a courier (MyHermes),as it works out a fair bit cheaper to post the larger items with them, although they have put their prices up as well.

The postage costs are just going to keep rising every year.

MrsDev

I really dislike Royal Mails pricing structure. I have many items that I sell which are just outside the small parcel sizing, but are as light as a feather, yet I have to pay nearly double the postage cost than if it were a small parcel.

Just costs too much to the customer!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

When I was just setting up in business, one of the things that I did was sell things online. I would also hand make cards and send them to people - but thanks to the postage increase I stopped doing it because allowing free postage cut into my profit margins too much, and fewer people used the service when we charged because there were so many other companies who could post for free. So it wasn't great for us, but if it had never happened I wouldn't have focussed on other parts of my business so much, so I have to say that it has probably been for the best overall.

P

Pete Brindle

Won't affect me much as I don't really post anything. The only things that I might post are the end of term reports for our pupils if they happen to be off on their last lesson but this doesn't tend to happen much apart from in the summer when they go on holiday, but that's pre planned so I can give them to them in advance. We send Christmas cards but pass them directly to pupils so it isn't a problem. I do think, however, that there are a lot of small businesses that are going to struggle because of this.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Won't affect me much as I don't really post anything. The only things that I might post are the end of term reports for our pupils if they happen to be off on their last lesson but this doesn't tend to happen much apart from in the summer when they go on holiday, but that's pre planned so I can give them to them in advance. We send Christmas cards but pass them directly to pupils so it isn't a problem. I do think, however, that there are a lot of small businesses that are going to struggle because of this.
I now send eCards to clients at Christmas for the sole reason that it would cost so much to post - particularly because a lot of them live overseas. So perhaps this would be an option for you, too, in the future?

P

Pete Brindle

I now send eCards to clients at Christmas for the sole reason that it would cost so much to post - particularly because a lot of them live overseas. So perhaps this would be an option for you, too, in the future?
Not a bad idea, I suppose it would get rid of the cost of the card itself as well. The only thing is that I quite like the personal touch of a physical card, and because a lot of my clients are children I feel it means a lot to them to get a card from their teacher! In any other business I would agree with you completely, though.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Not a bad idea, I suppose it would get rid of the cost of the card itself as well. The only thing is that I quite like the personal touch of a physical card, and because a lot of my clients are children I feel it means a lot to them to get a card from their teacher! In any other business I would agree with you completely, though.
Fair enough, I get that. Nothing's better than a personal and hand written card!