By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How Do The New Carrier Bag Charge (scotland) Regulations Affect You?

justDAJ

justDAJ

From 20th October 2014 all retailers in Scotland must charge a minimum of 5p per single-use carrier bag. This covers plastic AND paper bags.

There are a few exceptions but on the whole you must charge 5p and in some cases keep records of your bag sales.

Although it may sound awkward, there are a few potentially positive spins for client engagement.

What do you need to do as a business?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I think that on the whole this is a good thing, because it might mean that more people start to reuse their bags. However, I do worry that things like raw meat might be carried in the same bags as other food, which could start to pose a risk to people. Perhaps things like that should be given bags of a different colour and the charge is refunded when brought back into store? Other than that though I do think it is a positive thing to do, and should help to improve the way that people think about their shopping bags.

L

Lauren Turner

It always annoyed me the way that people just throw carrier bags away so I think this is a good thing. It should work well and make people think a little more about how many they use when they're shopping.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking