By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Holiday Work For Kids?

P

Pete Brindle

This might be more to do with parenting than business, but how much homework do you think would be appropriate for a teacher to give a child over the summer holiday? I am aware that probably school teachers don't do this because they will be in another class when they get back, but because I will be seeing them all in September, I don't know what to do.

They will have to practice their instruments otherwise the technique will go, but would it be acceptable for me to set some written work as well? For the older children mainly, as we like to teach them some music theory as well as the practical side of things. I give them all workbooks set by the exam board and they work through them slowly all year, mostly in class when we're able to guide them.

Should I set a little of this to be done over the summer? And if so, how much would be acceptable to set? A couple of pages? The whole book? I know some won't do it and we can't really say anything if they choose not to, but it would definitely help to set them up for the next term!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'd say don't bombard them, but maybe give them a couple of worksheets to do. Give them too much and they just won't want to do it at all!

P

Pete Brindle

Thanks. As I say the majority of them have books, so I will set pages. It just takes a lot of time out of lessons if we have to go through them, because they could do them easily on their own and I think the lessons should be spent on practical things rather than worrying about the theory!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Thanks. As I say the majority of them have books, so I will set pages. It just takes a lot of time out of lessons if we have to go through them, because they could do them easily on their own and I think the lessons should be spent on practical things rather than worrying about the theory!
Might as well set it. If they don't do it it might waste lesson time, but those will do it will certainly benefit from it, right?

P

Pete Brindle

Might as well set it. If they don't do it it might waste lesson time, but those will do it will certainly benefit from it, right?
Yes, definitely. I don't want them feeling as though they have to waste their whole summer or anything, but it just helps if they come to class knowing this stuff because it takes a while to work through it when they could be playing and making the most of the staff who are there at the time. I might type up a letter to send home to parents to this effect, saying that while it is entirely optional it would be most beneficial. Mention that it'd effectively be saving them money and I am certain they'd be up for it!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Yes, definitely. I don't want them feeling as though they have to waste their whole summer or anything, but it just helps if they come to class knowing this stuff because it takes a while to work through it when they could be playing and making the most of the staff who are there at the time. I might type up a letter to send home to parents to this effect, saying that while it is entirely optional it would be most beneficial. Mention that it'd effectively be saving them money and I am certain they'd be up for it!
I'd have thought they'd be more than happy for their kids to do a little work if, as you say, it means they'd then get more from their lessons. Go for it!

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking