By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Holiday Pay Changes And Its Likely Effect On Your Business.

L

Lauren Turner

I actually believe that this is a good thing, because if you're being made to work longer hours you should of course be able to get the benefits of those hours as well. For example my brother is contracted to just 20hrs a week but usually works 40hrs and doesn't really get a great deal of choice in the matter, or his job might be on the line.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

This is a good thing, but I'm not sure that many people realise what it is. I have a friend who does a lot of overtime, but it's through choice - she isn't made to do it - yet she thinks that she will be getting more holiday pay now because of it. I have tried to explain to her that she won't, and that she does the extra work completely of her own accord, but she has definitely misinterpreted what this whole thing has been about.

M

Mike Turner

I think it's very wrong that people should be asked to work overtime without all that much choice in the matter anyway, so this is great news as far as I'm concerned. At least they can get the benefits from the hours they work, then.

Edward Obi

Edward Obi

Director, HR Consultancy
It sure is great news. I used to work as a HR Manager in hospitality so I know how overtime can be abused. The good thing was during my various HR roles I ensured strict working time compliance and also ensured that staff were compensated adequately.

M

Mike Turner

It sure is great news. I used to work as a HR Manager in hospitality so I know how overtime can be abused. The good thing was during my various HR roles I ensured strict working time compliance and also ensured that staff were compensated adequately.
It sounds as though you are one of the people who truly cares, which is great. Hopefully you employees appreciated this, and those who aren't as lucky as them should be protected by the new rules that are coming into play thanks to this announcement.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I think most people have been in jobs with forced overtime to be honest. It's easier on the businesses because they know they can get the hours covered without, up until now, having to provide the benefits that come with full time work. But yes, all that changes now, and that can only be a good thing.

P

Pete Brindle

This won't affect us at all, as our staff don't have contracted hours, they're technically on zero hours and then get as many lessons as possible, and have to take holidays during school holiday times. I don't particularly like zero hours contracts, but it seems to work the best for us at the moment, and all of our staff understand what we do, and what they're signing up for.

M

Mike Turner

This won't affect us at all, as our staff don't have contracted hours, they're technically on zero hours and then get as many lessons as possible, and have to take holidays during school holiday times. I don't particularly like zero hours contracts, but it seems to work the best for us at the moment, and all of our staff understand what we do, and what they're signing up for.
At least they get a lot of time off over the holiday period though, and I suspect that would suit people with children very well, so whether it's zero hours or not it will be better than it would be for a lot of other people, so they are probably glad of it really.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking