By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Hello from The Shetland Bunting Company

• Thread starter ShetlandBuntingCompany
  • Start date
ShetlandBuntingCompany

ShetlandBuntingCompany

Hi Folks

I'm Aj & I live & run my business from the UK's most remote inhabited island, Fair Isle, midway between Orkney & Shetland (yes people really do live on that tiny little dot on the map.. 63 of us).

Aj.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Aj,

Nice to see you on SBF! I think you're probably our most northerly member to date :)

So tell us a bit more about what you're business does. Do you have any difficulties operating from such a remote location?

I hope you find the forums useful and if you do have any questions please feel free to drop me an email :)

Wills

Wills

Verified Member
Aj first welcome to the forum, ho does working in such a remote and small community affect your business or are you really a giant like Amazon and prefers nice surroundings to work from.

ShetlandBuntingCompany

ShetlandBuntingCompany

Haha, truth be told it makes little difference to the running of our business, but as we are rapidly approaching the stage where I need to think about taking on a few part time folks, it puts us into the most important of slots on isle as Employers, there just aren't enough jobs available on isle as is so my 2 part time posts will be welcomed with open arms.

Dispatch wise, staying ahead of the weather is just a part of life up here, I always quote customers the max amount of time it's going take to make up their order & to date our orders have always dispatched at least a week early. We have both ferry service & plane service at our disposal and work with both royal mail & couriers to ensure we always have the fasted tracked delivery service at our disposal & takes pretty much the same time as it does on the mainland with the exception of same day & next day delivery being available only locally.

Aj.

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

Hi Aj ....... good to see you've joined a merry band of 'sooth moothers'

I spent many years of my life in the isles and stayed in 'da toon' for some 20 + years. I ran Shetland Cycle Hire and was a founder member of Shetland Wheelers cycling club.

Weel hae a yarn when you get the chance.

John