By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Hello from SCOTBIS

J

JohnColl

Hi,
My name is John Coll and I am head of business information at the National Library of Scotland. We provide a business information service to the Scottish community and beyond through our Scottish Business Information Service (SCOTBIS). The service is basically free although we do charge for some additonal services.

This looks a useful networking site and I will add it to our list of businesss support websites. More information on this and our own service can be viewed at SCOTBIS (Scottish Business Information Service).

Happy to contribute to any information queries through this site as well.
John

nothing does

nothing does

Hi John and welcome. I get the feeling you could be a popular guy on this forum!

TomB

TomB

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.

Thats great that your adding this site to your list of resources, this place really is a great friendly place to come for a chat and get answers to your questions.

I'm going to have a look at your site though, looks like they are lots of useful links as well.

Thanks!!

Tom

alanbold

I have used the SCOTBIS service and can vouch that its really useful and that the team at the library are really helpful

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi John,

Thanks for joining up and welcome to SBF :) SCOTBIS sound very interesting and i'll be taking some time tonight to go through the site in more detail. Thanks also for offering to list our site, the more people that do this the more popular and widely used SBF becomes.

Look forward to chatting with you again soon :)

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
And a big warm welcome from me an aw! ;)

Gordon N

Gordon N

Welcome Jon, sounds like you could be busy soon! I too will spend a bit of time investigating your website later - there is very little support for up and coming businesses in my area.

Regards,

Gordon

J

JohnColl

Thanks for the kind comments and welcome. One thing I didn't mention in my original post is that all Scottish businesses have, through SCOTBIS, the facility to access a global company database directly through their pc. The database is called Global Reference Solution and contains profiles on 110 million companies worldwide. Any business, based in Scotland can obtain free view-only data to this content. I don't want to hog this thread with a pitch for this free service:) so please get in contact if you would like further information on visit our website for more details.
Thanks once again.

Maureen Ridley

Maureen Ridley

I am John's colleague and we have another database that may interest you all. COBRA is a practical information resource for anyone who wants to start a new business and contains around 4,000 factsheets, market reports, contacts, and sources of funding and support to help entrepreneurs and their advisers. COBRA is available on free remote access to registered users of the National Library of Scotland. Please get in touch if you want to know more! That's enough of the sales pitch ...

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Maureen,

Your post has reminded me that I never got a chance to pop by and speak with John and yourself about how people can access the various information you have. I think it's fair to say SCOTBIS is a fantastic resource and I was hoping to maybe write a few articles etc to actually highlight that fact.

I'll get in touch with you after the festive break to see if we can set something up :)

Maureen Ridley

Maureen Ridley

We'd be very pleased to see you! John is still in charge of the service but is no longer involved on a day-to-day basis. My colleague Liz MacDonald and I will be very happy to meet you.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking