By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Hello Folks

• Thread starter Rickwood Portpatrick
  • Start date
Rickwood Portpatrick

Rickwood Portpatrick

Hi there

Greetings from sunny Portpatrick in the far South-West.

My wife Maggie and I have owned and run Rickwood House which is what we call a "Hotel Style Guest House" since August 2000 and we have been very fortunate to have had several very successful years after a slow start.

Why "Hotel Style"?

Well, the business was always known as Rickwood Hotel but for reasons I won`t go in to at this stage, VisitScotland need us to drop the word hotel to retain our grading.

We have only six bedrooms and therefore are much the same size as your average Guest House / B&B

What we want to get over by using the phrase "Hotel Style" is that we offer a lot more than the typical seaside B&B in that we have a residents licence, provide dinners etc. as a result of which we tend to have higher occupancy rates than our local competitors.

When we are not working (which is not that often) we are both keen hill-walkers. I recently compleated the Munros and Maggie has climbed most of the Wainwrights in the Lake District.

We hope to see some of you down here in Portpatrick sometime. I am new to this forum business and don`t know if I am allowed to do this but here is our website Rickwood House hotel in Portpatrick offers hotel accommodation in the harbour town of Portpatrick, Stranraer, Scotland

Looking forward to participating

regards

Fred Findlay

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Fred,

Thanks for joining up and welcome to Scottish Business Forums :)

I'll be honest and say I dont know exactly where Portpatrick is. The only south-west place I go to regularly is Stranraer but it's only to catch the ferry to Belfast.

You can add your website without any issues and feel free to create a signature with a link to your site as this will then appear in every post. If you need any help please drop me an email or PM.

I'm sure we'll speak again soon :)

Rickwood Portpatrick

Rickwood Portpatrick

Hi

Thanks for your message.

It is intersting that you don`t know where Portpatrick is because it is only 7 miles from Stranraer! It is on the Irish Sea and used to be the ferry port for Ireland (Donaghadee) as it is the shortest crossing.

Portpatrick is one of the most successful holiday villages in Scotland and is very popular with visitors from N.England. Although the population is only about 600, it has over 20 serviced accommodation providers and umpteen holiday letting properties. Occupacy rates here tend to be high and the season goes on into late October when most of the highlands are closed.

It is probably every bit as busy as the likes of Plockton, Crail etc ( of which everyone will have heard) but our area receives little in the way of marketing with all the focus being on the Highlands etc.

Yes, I would like to add a link to my website with my signature- if you can point me in the right direction..............

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Fred,

Please forgive my ignorance, as soon as I posted previously I went online and found it was indeed on Stranraer's doorstep. It also brought back memories of arriving late for the last ferry to Belfast and having to drive all the way back to Fife and then set of back for Sranraer early next morning. I know who i'll be calling next time!

Regarding your signature. When you log in you will see top left a tab called "User CP". Clicking on this will give you an option called "Edit Signature" towards the top left. You will then find a box where you can insert your signature which can include links to your site etc. Hopefully i've covered everything :)

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Hi Fred!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm always looking for random places to take the other half on surprise weekend breaks, I'll need to use that as an excuse to come down and say hello!

Hope you enjoy using the forums! I've already got so many contacts and useful information from them! The forums really are invaluable for any business! :D

Best Regards,

Stuart

Boxby

Hi Fred

Great to see you've made it!
Now get working on that SEO and link building!!!!!

Kind regards
Sandra

TomB

TomB

Hey Fred,

Welcome to the forums.

I haven't been down that end of the counrty for a very long time!!

T

PC

PC

Ooh, Portpatrick, I was born and raised not too far from there (Port William) and still visit regularly :D

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking