By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Have you ever lied on a CV?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

The guy who won the apprentice lied on his CV and recent polls have also suggested that many people do it. So my questions to you all is have you done it in the past? I'm not expecting anybody to admit to anything that could get them into trouble though :p

Does it depend what the lie is or is it just fundamentally wrong?

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Most of lie to ourselves all the time....everything from, Well I'll get to bed at a reasonable hour, I'll only have one Kit Kat with my coffee, I'll do the dishes in a hour. I'll get my email inbox tidied up....

Well if we lie to ourselves about little things, it proves we ultimately have no control over ourselves and it send the message out to other to lie to them to get what we want....it almost become natural part of us

If someone has lied on a CV, the chances are high that it is a normal behaviour pattern and he/she will lie about other things, should the need arise.

Gordon

Idea15

Idea15

In the years before I set up my own business, I had a rough couple of years where I had to take whatever job I could get. My last workforce job before I left for maternity and my own business was a dull office temp job. I was not expecting the job to be much, but I wasn't expecting less than one hour of menial, kiddie work every day that would make an office junior bored, much less a multilingual executive assistant (which is what I was.) There was lots to be done in the office and lots of places where I could have lent a hand, but as is common in too many Scottish workforces, wanting to do more than stare out a window 6 hours a day was greeted with raised eyebrows and whispers of that temp "trying to build an empire for herself."

One day I happened to find my own CV as it had been sent to the company via the temp agency. After one look, I wanted to punch something. Yes, it was my CV with my name and address on it, but what was contained in it was so heavily redacted, censored, edited, and chopped down that I literally could not recognise it as my own. Entire years of my life, job skills, experiences - simply deleted. All my database and web and computer experience - deleted. The only computer skills it said I had were Microsoft Word and Excel. My managerial positions - deleted.

It seems this temp agency had a lazy recruitment consultant behind in her sales quota, so she saw an office junior job that needed to be filled, grabbed the first candidate CV she could find, and chopped up the CV to make the candidate - me - look like a suitable fit for the role.

When you apply for a job, you assume the company is going to get the CV you send the agency - not the censored, fictionalised CV retyped on the agency's own letterhead to "brand" you as their "ideal candidate". When you are staring out a window dying of boredom, you assume the company have made a consicous choice not to use your other skills, not because they don't know about them at all.

So there's no point in causing a fuss about a candidate lying on their own CV when agencies do it every day as a matter of course.

Heather makes a good point here.....

Recently I've been asked to lecture on a course the college is delivering for a University.... CVs had to be put in the University format, and just as Heather's experienced mine had left OFF my 4 1/2 years training at Thames, the awards I've won and much of my other work history.... And played up more recent teaching experience to the point where it was misleading...

Now; it could be argued that these things were not relevant to the job I was being allocated. Save for the fact that what I'm supposed to be delivering is a video production unit; and the WHOLE reason I'm suited to teaching that subject is related to my professional training and experience in that field....

Go figure! As they will insist on saying in the former colonies!

The guy who won the apprentice was IIRC merely economical with the facts of his experience at Uni; he didn't actually claim qualifications he hadn't got and (I've read) simply wrote that the course lasted for the period he'd set out....

And again, to more or less repeat what Heather's already said; If agencies and even colleges are prepared to adopt this as routine practice what surprise that individuals are doing likewise?

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Heather makes a good point here.....

Recently I've been asked to lecture on a course the college is delivering for a University.... CVs had to be put in the University format, and just as Heather's experienced mine had left OFF my 4 1/2 years training at Thames, the awards I've won and much of my other work history.... And played up more recent teaching experience to the point where it was misleading...

Now; it could be argued that these things were not relevant to the job I was being allocated. Save for the fact that what I'm supposed to be delivering is a video production unit; and the WHOLE reason I'm suited to teaching that subject is related to my professional training and experience in that field....

Go figure! As they will insist on saying in the former colonies!

The guy who won the apprentice was IIRC merely economical with the facts of his experience at Uni; he didn't actually claim qualifications he hadn't got and (I've read) simply wrote that the course lasted for the period he'd set out....

And again, to more or less repeat what Heather's already said; If agencies and even colleges are prepared to adopt this as routine practice what surprise that individuals are doing likewise?

Then is begs the question,..."If you thought you could get away with it, WOULD YOU LIE on your CV?

Or as Matt and Heather were talking about, if it the case (and we know it is),these agencies twist the truth, would you be happy to have the facts about yourself embelished?

Idea15

Idea15

The answer to that is no; if I thought I could get away with it, I would not lie. That's one of those bad karma things which will catch you sooner or later.

Believe me, when you see your own CV "embellished" to dumb you down, you literally feel that punch-in-the-gut sensation in your stomach. I would not invite it onto myself.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

The answer to that is no; if I thought I could get away with it, I would not lie. That's one of those bad karma things which will catch you sooner or later.

Believe me, when you see your own CV "embellished" to dumb you down, you literally feel that punch-in-the-gut sensation in your stomach. I would not invite it onto myself.
Absolutely....these things can come back and bite you on the bum....but not everyone sadly is like us.

Or as Matt and Heather were talking about, if it the case (and we know it is),these agencies twist the truth, would you be happy to have the facts about yourself embelished?
In this particular instance I insisted that the facts were re-instated; and no, I wouldn't tolerate the truth being twisted or 'spun'.... What's the point? The higher you climb the more vulnerable you become to 'snipers'... Why paint a roundel on your backside for them?

Idea15

Idea15

Today I read that the very agency which pushed me around and censored my CV has had to lay off a few hundred recruitment consultants. I think I can be forgiven for cheering out loud. Let's see how they feel when their career is left in the hands of a coked-up b***h who loves the delete key.